Cleaning Tank With Staurogyne Repens

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

brandon05w

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello,

I have recently become interested in planted tanks that are carpeted in Staurogyne Repens and was wondering how does one go about cleaning a tank like this? I vacuum my gravel and sift my sand in other tanks. How would you control the waste from fish without destroying the plant? Total newbie to planted tanks so be easy on me.:ermm: Also, any advice on growing Staurogyne Repens would be much appreciated.

Thanks

For star repens and other carpet plants you don't really vacuum the substrate under the plants. You could use a turkey baster to push a jet of water through the plants to dislodge debris.
I have had good luck with star repens using medium to medium-high light, CO2, water column ferts such as PPs-Pro or Seachem Flourish w/ API Leaf Zone.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

For star repens and other carpet plants you don't really vacuum the substrate under the plants. You could use a turkey baster to push a jet of water through the plants to dislodge debris.
I have had good luck with star repens using medium to medium-high light, CO2, water column ferts such as PPs-Pro or Seachem Flourish w/ API Leaf Zone.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

+1 My star repens "carpet" is really more of a hedge at this point. (click here for a photo) It would be totally impossible to vacuum the substrate. I don't worry about it, and just wave the siphon hose around when removing water to stir it up and suck out what I can. Purigen in the filter takes care of the fine organic waste, and the rest becomes plant food. A colony of shrimp also helps since they sift through the waste and consume any extra food.

+1 My star repens "carpet" is really more of a hedge at this point. (click here for a photo) It would be totally impossible to vacuum the substrate. I don't worry about it, and just wave the siphon hose around when removing water to stir it up and suck out what I can. Purigen in the filter takes care of the fine organic waste, and the rest becomes plant food. A colony of shrimp also helps since they sift through the waste and consume any extra food.

+1, i use abt 30 amano shrimp to take care of abt a 4-5ft carpet of them. Anything else left, purigen or PP takes care of it.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

A vigorous swirling motion picks up the big stuff. A combination of that, good tank hygiene, and a reasonable stocking level should keep waste under control. Good circulation also helps.

Back
Top Bottom