Clevers 30g Rimless Cube

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CleverBs

Aquarium Advice Addict
I will be starting a 30g Rimless Cube planted tank.

The tank is a drilled tank that I used as a saltwater frag tank so I will set it up with a sump. I have to replumb the tank however but that should be easy to do.

The Plan:

Tank: 24x24x12 Rimless

Sump: 5g

Co2: Premium Aquatec Regulator /w 5lb co2 tank

Diffuser: Not sure yet but will place it in sump to keep the display clean of anything.

Light: 6500k 175 Metal Halide raised about 2ft off the top of the tank

Heater: I have a bunch laying around will use one or two that fit in sump

Soil: I think I am going to use MRAqua soil

Hardscape: Thinking of just using rocks may use spider driftwood but I am unsure

Plants: HC, Alternanthera reineckii Mini, along with some other plants not sure yet.

Fish: Pair of German Blue Rams, 10x Neon or Cardinal Tetras.

Should have some pictures soon.

The plan is to keep everything out of the display and in the sump. Will need to find some place to get unique rocks because my LFS has them but it would cost me around 100$ to get the rocks I want from them so I am thinking of going to a landscape supplier and getting them from them.

I will be starting a 30g Rimless Cube planted tank.

The tank is a drilled tank that I used as a saltwater frag tank so I will set it up with a sump. I have to replumb the tank however but that should be easy to do.

The Plan:

Tank: 24x24x12 Rimless

Sump: 5g

Co2: Premium Aquatec Regulator /w 5lb co2 tank

Diffuser: Not sure yet but will place it in sump to keep the display clean of anything.

Light: 6500k 175 Metal Halide raised about 2ft off the top of the tank

Heater: I have a bunch laying around will use one or two that fit in sump

Soil: I think I am going to use MRAqua soil

Hardscape: Thinking of just using rocks may use spider driftwood but I am unsure

Plants: HC, Alternanthera reineckii Mini, along with some other plants not sure yet.

Fish: Pair of German Blue Rams, 10x Neon or Cardinal Tetras.

Should have some pictures soon.

The plan is to keep everything out of the display and in the sump. Will need to find some place to get unique rocks because my LFS has them but it would cost me around 100$ to get the rocks I want from them so I am thinking of going to a landscape supplier and getting them from them.

Any pictures or updates?

Sounds like a good plan. Not much else to put on there the list is to its full poteinal.

No updates yet. I am currently looking to get a co2 system but havent pulled the trigger on anything yet.

I think this week or next I will start my aquascape and get the tank cycling at least.

I have been looking for Dragon stone rocks for a few weeks and couldnt ever find anything that wasnt insanely expensive. I found a person who sells 11 rocks on ebay for 49.99. You get 2 XL 2 Large 2 Med then rest are various small sizes. I think this will work perfect for my needs. I wont use more then 5-6 rocks so it will give me the ability to at least pick the ones I want and have some different ones for rescapes later down the road if I want to.

I think ill set up my sump this week and get it running. I think its funny that getting my planted tank set up even without live stock or plants is costing more then my 220g. But I didnt need to buy anything other then 4x bags of 12.99 pool filter sand.

Got a few things today. I know a build thread sucks without pictures but many will come as soon as I gather all of my supplies Im almost there!

Today I bought the following.
1x Bag of ADA Power Sand
2x Bags of ADA Amazon Soil
1x 5lb Co2 Tank
1x Quietone 1200 Pump
1x Temp guage
18lbs of ADA Dragon Stone

All I have left to get is the Co2 Regulator and that should come in next week to my LFS and I need to get a 175w 6500k Bulb for my MH.

After I get the dragon stone I will start my aquascape and then when thats finished I will get my plants and start planting the tank.

I also have to replumb the tank but that shouldnt take to long.

I am wondering if I should do a dry start or not. I have never done one before and honestly with the power of my light I am a bit worried that I will have to much light for a dry start

what is the benefit of a dry start? its just to get the carpet plants going right? I would think with my light and co2 that doing that while its filled would be about the same.

Alright I typed a whole thing up and right before saving it my browser stopped responding and I lost everything I typed. I dont have time to do it again right now but will do it down the road.

Here an brief update for now.

I have everything for the tank other then my regulator at this point and the 6500k Bulb for my light. Right now it has a 18k Bulb in it so thats why its so blue. I also still need to set up the sump. Going to do that this week some time in order to remove all the stuff from in the tank.

Still working on my aquascape. I like the substrate just not the rock.As you can see iv changed it many times already.
img_3301393_0_96ba87b89790c93b395318fadce1097c.jpg

img_3301393_1_53049c34c1ce9a2b534dcfa62f8d0eca.jpg

img_3301393_2_8b1fa12e2f59f30d0b6dc9c5e874e7d2.jpg

img_3301393_3_da493eb025a25d5e9a9cd4967cbc5dad.jpg

Very cool rock. I'll be following this tank too.

You do know that because of the sump you'll need to use more co2 right? Unless you used a piece of glass to seal most/all of the sump.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Very cool rock. I'll be following this tank too.

You do know that because of the sump you'll need to use more co2 right? Unless you used a piece of glass to seal most/all of the sump.

well of course I will need to use more co2 but not much more. I think most people see sump with water falling from the pipes into the sump and splashing. I will have my pipes underwater and I am using a full siphon design to reduce co2 loss. Even if I use 2x the co2 i dont care because it makes your tank look so much better without heaters and filters in it. I mean sure it will be open but thats no different then the open top of the tank. Should be fine. Im using an inline diffuser as well so that will reduce the lose of Co2

well of course I will need to use more co2 but not much more. I think most people see sump with water falling from the pipes into the sump and splashing. I will have my pipes underwater and I am using a full siphon design to reduce co2 loss. Even if I use 2x the co2 i dont care because it makes your tank look so much better without heaters and filters in it. I mean sure it will be open but thats no different then the open top of the tank. Should be fine. Im using an inline diffuser as well so that will reduce the lose of Co2

Just wanted to be sure you knew, and it will look nice without the heater. I brought it up because even if you don't have the splashing in the sump you'll still have it in the overflow box. With my open top tank I try to minimize surface agitation to get the most out of my co2.

I may set up my sump tonight. I have a 5g that I may use but I'm considering getting a 10g

Great looking rock CB'S!
After I move next spring I will be resetting my 20L and the rock you're using(dragon stone?)looks to be the choice for my hardscape...

sit in silence...

Well its been a month and Ammonia stills tests off the charts because of the Powersand/soil. Will keep doing water changes and hope that it levels out soon. I ended up getting my co2 system it will be up and running once this never ending cycle finishes.

Back
Top Bottom