Cloudy water won't go away. Need help please?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Philly33

Aquarium Advice Freak
90gallon
Pressurized co 2 w/ ph controller (kh5 ph set to 6.6), drop checker is green

Fluval G6 with external diffuser built in

4x54w t5ho (6hr photo period)

EI dosing

42 gallon weekly/wc

My tank still appears to have an algae bloom. When I do my wc the tanks stays clear for only one day. My phosphates are at 1.0 What am I doing wrong? It's been nearly 2 months.

Do you mean that your tank has been set up for nearly 2 month's or its been cloudy for nearly 2 month's? If your tank has been set up for say 6 or 7 weeks then it's probably a bacteria bloom which would be a good sign meaning that your cycle is completing.

It's a relatively new set up but it's a green cloudy algae bloom.

Well if its green water algae then i would have to guess that you have to much light. Do you run all 4 bulbs? If you do that might be to much. Try and go down to 2 bulbs and see if that helps.

I also know that if its green water a UV sterilizer will clean it out in a day.

If you do search for green water algae you'll get lots of results.

You have a 90 gallon tall 48 inch tank correct?

There's all kinds of crazy "willow tree" and "black out" methods you'll find on different forum's but I personally would rather find the cause and make the adjustment there and I think it probably is the light.

co2 non limiting
ferts non limiting
light limiting
that's the balance you have to find for your tank and plant uptake

Its very annoying. Some say it's not enough light. Some say it's too much. I have carpeting plants that need high light, correct?

Its very annoying. Some say it's not enough light. Some say it's too much. I have carpeting plants that need high light, correct?

Yes you are correct it is very annoying but think of it this way, That's a tall tank and you might need a high intensity light to get down there to grow those carpeting plants but what is the light intensity towards the top of the tank? What if you put 4 54w t5ho bulbs on a 55 gallon tank same 48 inch foot print, would you expect to get some algae? I know the answer because I've done it lol. watts per gallon can't always apply, the dimensions of the tank and everything else has to come into play at some point. Why don't you experiment with it and see what happens. Maybe you can get away with 2 bulbs for 3 hrs and 4 for 3 hrs or 2 for 4 and 4 for 2. I'm sure there is some happy medium that will allow you to avoid green water. Experimenting with my tank, lights, co2 and ferts is all the fun parts to me. Good luck and please keep me posted. I would like to know what ends up working for you!

I have carpeting front to back. I have (2) 2 bulb fixtures. I wouldn't have coverage to one side for part of the photo period?

UV is not in the budget yet. I'll be using my diatom filter. But that's not addressing my problem. I have to tweek my lighting or something. No pics, it's green with 2" of visibility right now.

It wont hurt to tweak the lights for a week or so to see what happens. I was really just wanting a picture to see how your lights were set up because you said you had 2 fixtures. Maybe take one off and roll with one in the middle or something. As said before if you don't want to turn the lights down I'm afraid UV is the only thing that's going to clear green water. I hope you get it figured out.

I'm going to try the front 2 from 2-8pm and the back 2 from 4-10pm with 4hrs of both in between.

It sounds like you have a handle on the light situation. Also it seems you have adequate CO2. So next question is your fert balance. Are you able to test for nitrates and phosphates? What ferts are you using? OS.

OS, I'm a mess. Lol. I only have test strips for nitrate n nitrite. They look good. Phosphates are at 1. I'm dosing EI from GLA. I just cut out kh2po4 because my phosphates were off the charts. I'll reintroduce once levels are controllable. My only error that I can think of is that I was using HOB filters in conjunction with my Fluval G6. I created dampers for the hob but I noticed I was running too much co2 and not getting to my ph set point. So I've ditched the hob this week. Ph and co2 seem to be finally stabilized. Once my diatom filter is returned I'll clear the bloom and reassess the situation.

I'll give the new lighting sequence a shot. If not then I'll try siesta. I don't think I can do 3 bulbs b/c my glossostigma is starting to reach and not spread. I'm hoping the co2/ph fluctuation is the cause though.

Yeah watch the balance between the NO3 & PO4 also. Too much of one and not enough of the other can aggravate green algae too. I strongly suggest getting a good testing regime going on both the NO3 and PO4. They say its a 10:1 ratio. 10 ppm No3 to every 1 ppm PO4. So if your weekly average is say, 20ppm NO3 then try and maintain 2 ppm PO4., etc. Hope this helps. You can clear it with UV but it's not curing the cause. OS.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1392149183.736460.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1392149216.900303.jpg
Algae bloom is gone after 4hrs using my diatom filter! Now I'm reintroducing co2, EI dosing- lean on the phosphate, 4 bulbs at 5 hrs to start and assess my initial algae bloom.

Back
Top Bottom