Co2?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tactrunkmonkey

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey guys, since I am restarting my tank, I would like to do things right this time. I just read the article on Planted Tanks and CO2, and I would rather have a real-deal CO2 system rather then the 'ghetto' way. I was looking at these products:

Freshwater Planted Aquariums: Red Sea Turbo CO2 Bio-System

Live Plant Aquarium Care: CO2 System for Live Plants

Can anyone tell me more about CO2, and how I would use either of these systems, and which one is best for a 25 Gallon Tall. Also, what does CO2 have to do with pH and what do I have to watch out for if I do use CO2, and if I get one of those systems, do I ever turn it off? Thanks in advance...

If you really want a "real-deal" system, you need to look into a pressurized system. F&S sells one, or you can get regulators/needle valves/bubble counters from rex griggs, ebay, etc. There's tons of information in this forum about CO2 setups.

Those two setups are just nicer looking 'ghetto' setups.

The first one is just yeast fermentation and the second is not worth talking about. I suggest you stay away for the CO2 fuzz tablets. They are very inconsistent.

Here is some good reading on CO2:

DIY CO2 System for Planted Aquarium

A 'real-deal' CO2 setup would be one using bottled CO2 that goes through a regulator, needle valve, and into a reactor or a type of diffusor.

That type of setup can be very costly. You would be looking at about 200 bucks for the basic setup up.

IMO, a DIY or as you are calling it, ghetto, would work just fine for you. A couple of 2 liter bottles hooked into whatever works for you would be ideal.

I just want to echo what others have already stated. The first system is basically DIY CO2 in a pretty package and unlikely to be sufficient for your aquarium (you'd need to add additional bottles for CO2 generation). You could build your own for much less. The other uses fizz tabs which are generally either completely ineffective or very dangerous. Not worth the risk to your fish.

I'd recommend considering Pressurized CO2 if you can afford it. I did DIY CO2 for awhile and while it worked, it's so much less hastle with Pressurized. I also have way less problems with algae now. If Pressurized isn't in the budget, then DIY CO2 is going to be your best bet. Make sure to use multiple bottles for CO2 generation to steady out the levels and help avoid BBA.

Back
Top Bottom