Co2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

That Fish kid

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have had a planted tank for a few years now and would like to add co2. If possible i want to make a co2setup myself. Any suggestions on how to do this? I have heard you can diffuse it by putting the airline tubing into the filter intake.
PLEASE help!

greetings.

the co2 production is pretty simple, depending on the size of your aquarium, you can use anywhere from a 500 ml bottle to 2 2 liter bottles or even more, or different sizes etc. but the bottles sould be soda/fizzy drink bottles because they can withstand pressure of hold the yeast and sugar water that creates the co2. then you need a 500 ml bottle to act as a bobble counter, it sould be filled half with water so the tubes leading from the production bottles lead into the water in the bobble counter, that way, any yeast flowing out (although this is rare) will get caught in the water of the bobble counter.

you sould use co2 hose, but i can't tell you what the american standart size is. regular silicone hose works too but more and more co2 will escape from the hose as it ages, co2 can't escape from a co2 hose.

in my setup i drilled holes in the bottle caps just wide enough for the hose to be put in, and used superglue to seal it up. i have 2 2L bottles of yeast with hoses into a 500 mL bobble counter that has a hose into a forced reactor that mixes the co2 with the water outtake of the filter. my aquarium is 55g

but you can also use different methods of getting the co2 mixed with the water, a reactor is most effective. then a ceramic difussor, least effective is a airstone/co2 ladder and not effective at all is having the hose floating around inside the aquarium.

for the sugar/yeast mixture i am currently experimenting, but a 5 gram yeast and 250 gram sugar mix lasted 9 days for me.

edit: i forgot you need non-return / one-way valves to keep pressure in the system and to avoid the co2/water flowing in the wrong direction. these sould be on each hose.

sincerely,
nereksnad.

You need a co2 tank, A regulator ( Milwaukee is a good brand), Air line, check valve, and a diffuser (glass w/ ceramic disc or atomizer work great). Ill be glad to help with anything you have questions about!

also, making the co2 bubbles flow into a powerhead/internal filter is allright, it will smash the bubbles into tiny bobbles. but it is not good for a hob/external filter, you can risk a build up of the co2 and since it is acidic it can damage the equipment in the long term.

sincerely,
nereksnad.

Thanks alot! How fast does co2 accelerate the growth of plants?
How much does a reactor typically cost.

That depends on a lot of factors. Lighting, nutrients, trace elements, it all has an impact.

I have a fairly strong light and i add fertilizer weekly. The plants grow really fast except for a few of them. Also, i have tried anubius several times and they never grow at all even after months but they dont die. Maybe co2 would help. This is really discouraging because i have heard anubius is the easiest plant to grow.

It is easy to keep alive, but all species of anubias I have grown are extremely slow growers.

Adding fertilizer weekly may or may not be beneficial. There are many forms of fertilizer, and plants have several requirements, and there is not 1 product out there that meets all of them in 1 fert mix.

It isn't possible to really tell you what difference CO2 will make in your specific tank with your specific parameters. What I can tell you is the difference in a high light tank between not injecting CO2 and injecting CO2 is dramatic. What kind of lighting do you have?

Its an led. Please let me know if this is not adequate. My plants seem to like it but i dont know a ton about plant lighting.

Again, this depends. There are an infinite amount of LEDs. What size tank is it and how many diodes? How many watts are the diodes? What color temp do the diodes emit?

Back
Top Bottom