co2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ashleynicole

Aquarium Advice Addict
If you run a commercial co2 setup there's usually a regulator that shuts it off at night right? So if your running diy co2 what do you do at night? Run an airstone?
I have an airstone on a timer that comes on itself once every 2 hours for about 15 minutes at night only. Was thinking about a little diy co2.
TIA
Ashley Walters

Some people run an airstone at night to offgas co2, but many also don't. In most cases, DIY co2 doesn't make enough co2 to build up to a lethal level, especially in larger tanks. It can be a problem in smaller tanks potentially (<10g), but it's not generally an issue from what I've seen online.

I was thinking of doing two 2 liter bottles on each end of a 55 gallon tank. Would it even be worth the effort?

DIY co2 on a 55g is not really worth the effort. You will need approx a 1 liter bottle per 10 gallons on the tank to keep it supplied with CO2

I would suggest doing metricide 14 for a liquid carbon supplement while saving up for a pressurized CO2 system

I can say from experience that doing DIY co2 on a 55g does work and is noticeable. However the hassle and expense of having to re-mix the bottles every week was such a pain, that in 2 months I had enough and got the pressurized system.

My light is fairly low at the moment and I dose excel. I'm just thinking a small amount might give a little boost. Ive done diy co2 on a 12 gallon, 29 gallon and even 55 gallon but I never ran an airstone at night. I only have one in my 55 gallon now to help move some water from time to time to help pick up gunk from the bottom.

My light is fairly low at the moment and I dose excel. I'm just thinking a small amount might give a little boost. Ive done diy co2 on a 12 gallon, 29 gallon and even 55 gallon but I never ran an airstone at night. I only have one in my 55 gallon now to help move some water from time to time to help pick up gunk from the bottom.

I'm glad that you recognize that DIY CO2 on a 55g isn't going to reaching ideal levels, and I agree that some CO2 is better than no co2. The only caveat is that inconsistent CO2 creates its only problems, namely BBA. If your not seeing that, I wouldn't worry about, but keep that in mind.

I definitely don't think you need to worry about running an airstone on your 55.

Ill probably leave well enough alone and just stick with low tech and dosing excel. It was merely a transient thought.... lol. Probably more trouble than its worth.

I managed to get a consistent ~30ppm with 2 2L bottles on my 120. I only tested it for about a month, though. It all comes down to diffusion method and surface disturbance. Use a powerhead driven reactor and kill any surface disturbance, point filter outflows below the surface if possible or use powerheads. The co2 will go a much longer way.

I managed to get a consistent ~30ppm with 2 2L bottles on my 120. I only tested it for about a month, though. It all comes down to diffusion method and surface disturbance. Use a powerhead driven reactor and kill any surface disturbance, point filter outflows below the surface if possible or use powerheads. The co2 will go a much longer way.

That's good to know if I ever have some extra time on my hands. I have one HOB filter and one canister filter. The canster filter has a spray bar below the water line. I keep the water level high with the hob so there is minimal surface agitation but I see how a dual canister filter would be more beneficial in this case. I just hate having to clean the tubes... lol.

Is a belle diffuser better than a ladder?

Reading/listening in here. I have a nice pressurized CO2 system in route. From everyone's description of how much better the plants grow, I better order a weed eater and hedge trimmers also. Looking forward to it! OS.

Back
Top Bottom