co2 and algea?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jason7894561230

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hey all,
First off how are we all sorry i havent been on for a while i was away camping. But i came home and found my tank has about 3 different kinds of algea. Black Fury Algea, Green Spot Algea and Hair Algea. Now im doin co2 because i wanted my plants to grow better and they are and the tank looks great, but this algea is annoying me. I have a SAE and a Bristlenose (they both suck at eating it) and my light are 2 25W and 10000K light and and pink one. Also its a 30gal.
Segguestions will be great!

It is important to know what level of co2 your DIY reactor is achieving. There are consequences to too much and also consequences to not enough. In this case, the black fury algae that almost nothing will eat is black beard algae. It is caused by elevated levels of co2 that are not consistently above 25 or so ppm. If the DIY system is getting you to say, 15 ppm, it can really encourage BBA growth.

For the other algaes, what else are you dosing in the tank? What is your nitrate testing at? How long per day are you lighting the tank?

Maybe i just shouldnt do co2 because i feel really lousy now :( I am not dosing anything and the lights are on for 12 hours. Also when that happens the airator kicks in and starts airating the tank.

12 hours? wow thats a long time. mine run for 7.5 hours. Try reducing your lighting, and... probably a good idea to ditch the co2 if you're not testing it.

Reduce lighting to 8 hrs. That will help the GSA. No co2 is better than unstable low co2. But now that you have BBA, that won't kill it unfortunately.

How about nitrates?

Back
Top Bottom