co2 booster

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

yvonnedono

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I just planted new plants into my old aquarium (but with new eco complete substrate). they went through some trauma by the nitrate build up from the eco complete. the nitrazorb pillows are finally taking care of the nitrates. I am starting to dose with seachem flourish and trace (on alternating days - each a couple times a week). Will co2 booster help or cause problems?

I am not using co2 injections. have low light situation that I am running 8 hours a day. though I'd like to run them longer.

Eco-Complete contains no nutrients, so no NO3 build up from Eco-Complete.
Flourish Comprehensive and Flourish Trace contain very little macro nutrients (Nitrogen, Phosphorous, Potassium). Continue to dose them for micro nutrients.

What kind of "CO2 Booster" are you referring to?

Eco-Complete contains no nutrients, so no NO3 build up from Eco-Complete.
Flourish Comprehensive and Flourish Trace contain very little macro nutrients (Nitrogen, Phosphorous, Potassium). Continue to dose them for micro nutrients.

It is by API and it is called CO2 booster. Here is the description: Carbon deficiency is one of the leading causes of poor plant growth in aquariums. API® CO2 Booster adds essential liquid carbon for planted aquariums to fuel the photosynthetic process and turn light energy into new plant growth. API CO2 Booster supplies simple carbon compounds, and slowly releases CO2 to aquarium plants.

Their description: Product may be used alone, or in conjunction with CO2 systems. Safe for use with freshwater fish, and will not alter pH.

It is by API and it is called CO2 booster. Here is the description: Carbon deficiency is one of the leading causes of poor plant growth in aquariums. API® CO2 Booster adds essential liquid carbon for planted aquariums to fuel the photosynthetic process and turn light energy into new plant growth. API CO2 Booster supplies simple carbon compounds, and slowly releases CO2 to aquarium plants.

Their description: Product may be used alone, or in conjunction with CO2 systems. Safe for use with freshwater fish, and will not alter pH.

So it's likely a glut product which adds only trace amounts of CO2 as it degrades in the water. What is does do (because it is a disinfectant and a mild algaecide) is break down any protein film that builds up on plant leaves and allows plants to better utilize atmospheric CO2 that is already in the water. It also kills algae (if used at a higher rate) allowing more light to be used without having to run CO2 gas.

It will help your plants. Use every day at the higher rate.

So it's likely a glut product which adds only trace amounts of CO2 as it degrades in the water. What is does do (because it is a disinfectant and a mild algaecide) is break down any protein film that builds up on plant leaves and allows plants to better utilize atmospheric CO2 that is already in the water. It also kills algae (if used at a higher rate) allowing more light to be used without having to run CO2 gas.

It will help your plants. Use every day at the higher rate.

thank you. very helpful. I will use.

what product would you recommend for dosing macro nutrients then?

what product would you recommend for dosing macro nutrients then?

KNO3 - Dry powder for nitrogen and potassium
KH2PO4 - Dry powder for phosphorous and potassium

CaSO4 and MgSO4 - Dry powders for a boost in hardness if needed.

Or, you can try an all-in-one fertilizer like Thrive (use alone, it is a trua all-in-one).

KNO3 - Dry powder for nitrogen and potassium
KH2PO4 - Dry powder for phosphorous and potassium

CaSO4 and MgSO4 - Dry powders for a boost in hardness if needed.

Or, you can try an all-in-one fertilizer like Thrive (use alone, it is a trua all-in-one).
I like the idea of an all in one. I was researching Thrive and people spoke of it raising nitrates. I really can't afford that as I am currently struggling with nitrates and have high nitrates in my well water. Then someone mentioned the shrimp version doesn't raise nitrates. Is this true?

I like the idea of an all in one. I was researching Thrive and people spoke of it raising nitrates. I really can't afford that as I am currently struggling with nitrates and have high nitrates in my well water. Then someone mentioned the shrimp version doesn't raise nitrates. Is this true?

I would stick to dry fertilizers if you are concerned over NO3.

Only dose PO4 and K and Micro's, no NO3.

Rotala Butterfly | Planted Aquarium Calculators & Information try out that calculator.

You can determine what levels Thrive is targeting by entering in your tank size, dose of Thrive and select "result of my dose".

Write those numbers down, and then target them with KH2PO4, K2SO4, CSM+B, no KNO3 - so no nitrate dosing.

What do you mean you are struggling with nitrates?

What do you mean you are struggling with nitrates?

ever since I switched substrates and added my plants, nitrates shot up to 80 ppm. I have since gotten them down to between 15-20 but I can't use too much of my well water. Have to use distilled water too - which is expensive and tedious. My well water has 15-20. I use nitrazorb and that helps. Now I am getting brown algae dusting too.

ever since I switched substrates and added my plants, nitrates shot up to 80 ppm. I have since gotten them down to between 15-20 but I can't use too much of my well water. Have to use distilled water too - which is expensive and tedious. My well water has 15-20. I use nitrazorb and that helps. Now I am getting brown algae dusting too.

If you’re well water is 15-20 that is perfect. Then you don’t need to worry about NO3. If you change 50% water weekly your NO3 levels will be spot on for a planted tank.

I purposely dose my new water up to 30ppm NO3. I remove 50% of the tank water which is around 10ppm or so, and replace that 50% with my new water that is at 30ppm.

Back
Top Bottom