CO2 controller for Ista system

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JP8dude

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I've been turning my CO2 regulator on and off every day. Normally this is not a problem, except the original regulator is not precise and I think the daily manual movements are not helping matters. I would like an automatic controller and not have to worry about the daily on and off cycle.

I know Ista makes a CO2 controller with solenoid but I would like any feedback on their brand versus any other choices. I've contacted Aquatek and their mini CO2 regulator will not work. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

What kind of system are you working with right now? You should be able to find an inexpensive solenoid and run it on a cheap timer to get good, consistent results.

Why don't you use a timer, if not a timer a ph controller if you haven't gauged the time frame in which your co2 levels are right.

I've seen the systems that are available, but I do not know what may be compatible with my system. What I have is best explained through this link:Professional Aquarium Products in details CO2 Aluminum Cylinder Supply Set 082L - Pressure - ISTA

I do not know much about a pH controller. I have a timer connected to my dual lamp light, which stays on about 12 hours each day. I recently discovered that turning off the CO2 system is necessary at night, among other things to prevent pH swings.

I have a .82 liter bottle (and don't know how that corresponds to ounces for the bottle, as some manufacturers list a compatibility of their products with listed ounce capacity for the cylinder). Ista makes a solenoid controller, but the price is $135. If I have to go that route, I suppose I could, but I am not impressed with the existing regulator's ability to effectively shutoff the CO2 and feel the quality of the solenoid, etc. may not be up to par.

I'm not familiar with the system, but I know Milwaukee makes an inline solenoid that might be able to do it for you. My main concern is that if that's not an actual regulator and just a valve, you might get pressure building up and popping off the line at night. Not really a problem apart from the waste of co2 and the frustration.

http://www.aquacave.com/Milwaukee-CO2-Solenoid-Valve-MA955-P194.aspx

Back
Top Bottom