co2 diffuser on timer. (good idea/bad idea?)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Synching your CO2 with your lights is the safe way to go. Plants do not uptake CO2 during lights-out so it is not necessary to supplement it at that time.

On the other hand, you will experience larger pH swings with the CO2 off at night. When the lights come on in the morning the CO2 will have to catch up with the amount that out-gassed during the night. This shouldn't be too much of a concern though.

If you have a pH controller you can leave your CO2 on 24-hours-a-day without any concern because it won't let the CO2 reach dangerous levels.

A lot depends on your CO2 diffuser type/efficiency. I have three CO2 injected tanks, i run the CO2 24/7 on all of them. I used to use a solenoid, and have found fewer problems, more stability, and less algae running the CO2 all the time.

I run my reactor and solenoid on a timer. I have it set to come on 15 minutes before the lights.

If you go that route, you will have to experiment with the time to turn on. BBA is common with CO2 swings, so getting the time correct is really important. I would also run a drop checker to see what your CO2 is doing.

BTW, I have never seen pH swings with any of my tanks with not running the CO2 24/7.

thanks for your help. i think i'll run it on the timer. and it may last longer that way i think? i'm a newbie with plants. i had someold decrepid plants in my tank that were added about three 3 years ago and i just bought a co2 system and fertilizer tablets and there was a 24 hour reaction with them! they got all perky and stuff... so it looks liek i'm doing the right things. i ordered a bunch of mosses, java fern, val grass, and hygro plants to add. i hope i do a good job!

plus i just can't wait to take all the fake plants out and admire my more natural/healthy looking aquarium! i'm so excited to watch everything grow in together! any more advice for the begginer, here?

Back
Top Bottom