Co2 Diffusers and Powerheads

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kimlafeiet

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hi all. I have a pressurized paintball co2 setup going on my 25 gallon tall tank. I broke my glass diffuser the other day. It still works, but I need to replace it soon. I think I would like to look into other diffusion options as well, as the glass diffuser doesnt seem to be be getting the co2 through the tank like I want.
What are your suggestions for diffusers, and what does everyone use?

Also, I have canister filter, but I am not sure I have enough flow. The diffuser is placed in front of the output spraypar (which goes down instead across the top of the tank) so it does push the bubbles through the tank a little, but I have been considering a small powerhead to add more flow, and I would like to have the co2 diffuser under the powerhead to better disperse co2 through the tank.
Ideas on a good powerhead would be great too.

I use a powerhead that went to an under ground filter. It breaks the bubbles up into very small, pin head size, bubbles. I just stuck the CO2 line directly into the intake. I had to put a sponge on the out flow part to slow down the water output. That helped keep the bubbles tiney. However, the CO2 degraded the sponge and they kept falling apart. I finally put a thick knee high on it with a rubber band and it works even better than the sponge. Slows the water down just enough and I still get tiny bubbles. I have experimented with different home made diffusers and a knee high with a power head worked the best for my 29g. I am using a cigarette filter stuffed into the tubing and then rubber banded to the filter intake on my 10g. My CO2 is diy though so I do not know if that makes a difference. A lot of people buy small internal filters and modify them to diffuse the CO2. Check on youtube. I cannot wait until I save enough for a CO2 system.

I think a power head is the best diffusion method. I have tried several other methods(intake, and return of canister filter, diffuser under intake of HOB filter, diffuser under PH) and the CO2 tubing connected to the venturi inlet of a PH seems to disperse the co2 throughout the tank the best.

GLA diffusers work great. I use one on my 125 and you can visually see the co2 mist disperse throughout the tank.

I use powerheads with the venture method also since I have a 220g. I use one at each end and it works great. Maybe not the prettiest but it really does a good job.

Are there certain kinds of powerhead that use this venturi method? I am looking for something small for my 25 gallon to disperse co2 and give a little extra flow to the tank.

Are there certain kinds of powerhead that use this venturi method? I am looking for something small for my 25 gallon to disperse co2 and give a little extra flow to the tank.

I can't recommend a model for that size tank but the type is the older style that has a smaller tube fitting on the output of the pump (as opposed to the more recent "open blade in a cage" style).
oX2myWf.jpg

i think it's time for someone to recommend the inline reactor. if you look up videos with inline reactors, you don't even see the micro bubbles coming out of the spray bar. it's DIY-able(if that's a proper word) and cheaper/more efficient than a powerhead. this reactor is great especially when you have a canister filter, whether or not you believe you have enough flow

I'm struggling to come to terms with what makes the most sense to me in terms of pressurized CO2 injection.

Is the GLA reactor a good one? Or, as some have indicated, is that just throwing the CO2 into the air so not really that good?

I spoke to a fellow at GLA and he of course thought their stuff rocks, but recommended 550gph rating for a canister filter... which, I cannot even find an Eheim that goes that high.... and at that rate - my 55g tank would be cycling its entire contents through the canister 10x / hour! That seems insane to me, no?!

Anyway, is there any consensus on whether an inline diffuser like aquariumplants.com offers is better or worse than the GLA misting injector?

And for CO2, does one really need 10x tank volume gph water movement?!!!

I'm struggling to come to terms with what makes the most sense to me in terms of pressurized CO2 injection.

Is the GLA reactor a good one? Or, as some have indicated, is that just throwing the CO2 into the air so not really that good?

I spoke to a fellow at GLA and he of course thought their stuff rocks, but recommended 550gph rating for a canister filter... which, I cannot even find an Eheim that goes that high.... and at that rate - my 55g tank would be cycling its entire contents through the canister 10x / hour! That seems insane to me, no?!

Anyway, is there any consensus on whether an inline diffuser like aquariumplants.com offers is better or worse than the GLA misting injector?

And for CO2, does one really need 10x tank volume gph water movement?!!!

If you're talking about GLA atomic inline diffuser then no you don't need 550 gph of flow. I have one hooked up the my sunsun 302 with 263 gph of flow and it works fine.

Yea, I wouldn't be as worried about flow. You don't really need 10x filtration (filters), or even 10x flow (filter+powerheads). You just need 'enough', which varies from tank to tank based on plants, output placement, etc. Some reactors have issues if you have too much flow through them. I wouldn't worry about it if you're not having issues, and it's super easy to fix if it does become a problem.

If you're looking for an easy fix, GLA's atomix diffusers will work, but the 7-Up tank isn't for everyone. Reactors are also good, but some assembly is required. It's really more of a question of what you want to look at.

I'll be setting up my pressurized system on sunday and will be using the UP inline atomizer (like GLA sells) so I can provide some incite on how well it works after I get it running.

The thing that's bizarre is that these are the numbers coming directly from GLA.
But I'm leaning more towards an external reactor. Not set on which one yet.

If you use the inline with a canister, try to extend your return to the bottom of the tank. And split the return into 2 outlets pointing in opposite directions. You'll get better coverage in your tank. The small CPVC works pretty well for this.

I'll be setting up my pressurized system on sunday and will be using the UP inline atomizer (like GLA sells) so I can provide some incite on how well it works after I get it running.

Please let me know how you end up liking the inline reactor. I am considering that one as well. Thanks !! :)

Back
Top Bottom