CO2 diffusion?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cfrank

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So I'm setting up a 50 gallon tank and I have a CO2 system on the way, but no idea as to how to get the CO2 into the water. I've looked over at GLA and they seem to be perpetually sold out of the atomic diffusers, plus the one size that I saw on Amazon had reviews talking about how unreliable it was and how easily they clogged. I am using a HOB filter, so in-line diffusers are out.

What should I do?

Use 2 small powerheads. One at each end of the tank pointing towards the middle. Attach the tubing coming from your co2 supply to the powerhead venturii intake (the small fitting on the PH that tubing will fit) . This will spread the co2 evenly throughout the tank.
The powerheads should be in the range of around 300GPH.
this is the diffusion method I use. It works pretty well.

I am just setting up a 55 with CO2 and since I have a canister that moves water in the tank well I am only using 1 very small powerhead that has right around 100gph rating.

I have a maxi-jet 600 rated for 160gph available for use. Do I just hook the hosing directly to the outflow?

I'm using a Maxi Jet 400. Just insert the CO2 tubing in the hole where the venture feature is.

Also place the powerhead low in the tank. Mine is about 4-5" from the substrate and away from where plants can get sucked into it.

I like the idea of putting it low. I have a sizable piece of driftwood that would hide it nicely.
Well done on the 220g, btw. Very nice!

Have you considered moving to a canister filter? I can be done fairly cheaply (<$100 for cheaper options) and opens up a myriad of options for you.

There are atomic diffusers on ebay for cheap, although they aren't as high quality as GLA's (and ship from Hong Kong). The other thing you can do is run a closed line with your Maxi Jet and run a RG reactor off of that.

I may get a canister filter at a later date, and I would certainly prefer one; however, I am a grad student with limited resources at the current moment. Definitely going on the birthday/Christmas wish-list though!

Not to sound like a complete novice, but what is a RG reactor?

I like the idea of putting it low. I have a sizable piece of driftwood that would hide it nicely.
Well done on the 220g, btw. Very nice!

Thanks, those are old pic's and the tank looks so different now as I planted it with a heavily influenced Dutch style. I use 2 powerheads in that tank and they do really good at moving the CO2 throughout the tank.

Thanks, those are old pic's and the tank looks so different now as I planted it with a heavily influenced Dutch style. I use 2 powerheads in that tank and they do really good at moving the CO2 throughout the tank.

If the single powerhead + homemade Rex reactor turns out to be insufficient, I shall try the dual powerhead setup.

aqua_chem I'm slightly confused as to the placement of the reactor. Is that the long, horizontal piece of PVC pipe I see in some pictures? I assume you attach it to the output of the power head and that's it?

Yes, it's the unsightly PVC you see under people's tank. What you would do is run 1/2" silicone tubing from the powerhead to the reactor and then back to the tank as a closed loop. If your powerhead can run out of water (some of the bigger Maxi Jets can), then that's probably a better option.

This is all going to take some DIYing and parts, so in terms of affordability, running CO2 into the venturi port will be cheaper and comparably effective.

Yes, it's the unsightly PVC you see under people's tank. What you would do is run 1/2" silicone tubing from the powerhead to the reactor and then back to the tank as a closed loop. If your powerhead can run out of water (some of the bigger Maxi Jets can), then that's probably a better option.

This is all going to take some DIYing and parts, so in terms of affordability, running CO2 into the venturi port will be cheaper and comparably effective.

Gotcha. I'll see what I can do with what I have lying around. Thanks for the advice!

Back
Top Bottom