CO2 diffusion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fubie

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hello. I have recently started planting in my aquarium and would like to know if it is feasible or even advisable to attach a Hagen CO2 system to my tanks air pump/diffuser stone either with a t connector or a gang valve? If possible I don't want to add another item hanging in the tank. I will use the complete Hagen system if my idea will cause more trouble though. Thanks for your ideas.

Maybe this will work with a check valve on the air pump's line, to ensure CO2 actually gets into the tank. I think you'll be countering your efforts with such a design, as you're encouraging CO2 to leave the tank with the air pump.

What size is your tank? How about ditching the air pump entriely, and instead try to mazimize CO2, so you have a bubble curtain from pearling plants? :)

I'm not sure how much pressure Hagen CO2 systems exert but I've found the simplest method (at least for my pressurized setup) to add CO2 to a small tank is to use a glass diffuser. They're pretty cheap (~$15-20) and mine does a great job in my 30G grow-out tank. It would be adding another item to your tank but the diffuser is fairly small and doesn't really stick out at all.

Here's a link to the one I use.

I think it would probably just be easier to use the ladder it comes with. Its really low key and streamlined and dosen't really show or draw to much attention to itself. Place it behind a tall plant or plant that will be tall anyway :wink:

AquaClear's are good for plumbing CO2 directly into the intake. however I do recommend using an airline reducer, so you get smaller CO2 bubbles, which break up more easily in the AC's impeller, further reducing likelihood of airlocking.

Thanks for all the replies and suggestions. Now to some of the questions for me. I am fairly certain the tanks has fully completed its cycle. I have had it for almost a year now... :) I have a 10g tank currently with the POS Whisper filter that came with it. I have a Emporer BIO-Wheel 280 on its way now to replace the current filter. I know this is way over sized for my current tank but I am going to move up to a large 25g or so tank soon and will take the 280 over. I have planted 2 small pots of micro-swords and I want to put some Anacharis in but I haven't found a local store that carries any that look worth a darn. I will probably order them online.

I went ahead and purchased the Hagen CO2 system and I am waiting to see if the included yeast is any good. I noticed a thread in the forums talking about a home recipe for the Hagen system so I'll use that if I don't get any noticeable bubbles from the included stuff.

I never had any problems with the whispers other than the impeller shaft could be bent fairly easily.. It should be possible to run the airline right beside the intake tube and get the airline reducer that malkore spoke of and put the smaller line into the intake..
the Bio wheel isnt good for keeping CO2 in the water.. Aqua Clears are recommended..

Back
Top Bottom