co2 diy natural,,trouble !!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jerrems

Aquarium Advice Newbie
i am using 2 cups sugar, 1/2 teas yeast, 1/2 baking soda,, two 2 liter bottles joined together with a tee, than to a 1 liter bottle.. then to aquarium..

i have a check valve from the two bottles to the third bottle and then a check valve from the third bottle to the diffuser.. check for leaks--none.

will the check valves prevent co2 from entering diffuser ??

thanks, james

If you have them going the wrong direction. If so you are probably building up pressure in your bottle(s).

I wasn't trying to be a jerk. It's an easy mistake to make especially if you are new to this stuff... wasn't sure of your experience level. Maybe you just need to give it some time. It can take an hour or two to get going sometimes I think.

u were not being a jerk, thanks,, its been running 18 hrs,, i thought that the pressure might not be enough for the check valves ???

will take it apart and check for leaks,, i have plumbed whole houses !!
thanks for your quick reply !!
james

hmm... maybe you got some bad yeast? or not the right mixture or something? I'm not sure how you did it, but one thing that I have found is a lot of people make the holes in their caps the same size as the air tube then caulk it/super glue or whatever. To make sure you have a tight fit you can make the hole about 1/2 to 3/4 the size of the tube. Then cut the tube at a 45 degree angle and stick the point in the hole. Then grab the point with some needle nose or whatever you have and pull it through. Then you have a nice tight fit and don't even need caulk or glue. Hopefully all that makes sense. If not let me know

It doesn't take a lot of pressure and now that I know it's been going for 18 hrs. something would have busted by now if the check valves were the wrong way. You aren't getting pressure for some reason whether it be a leak/bad yeast or whatever.

thanks again,, the yeast is good because i use it to bake bread,, i took it all apart and will use clear silicone on both sides of all three caps.. i am using a poly tubing instead of the typical soft and the hole was as tight as could be and get the tube thru..
james

leaks in diy co2 system using plastic bottles

try try try agin,,using dish wash soap and a brush i was able to find leaks where the airline tube entered caps on bottles..i was unable to seal with silicone even though i sealed both side of the caps..

went to the hardware store and found rubber grommets with a 1/4 diameter hole..i had to drill a 3/8" hole in the caps and work the grommets in..used a little silicone on the hole b4 i worked the grommets in..slipped the tubing into the 1/4" hole !!!

seems to b working perfectly,,:dance:

thanks for every bodies help,,,,

james

i had a similar problem, in that the hole i cut was TOO small, and it made the tubing fold slightly...causing a leak. leaks in DIY set ups will be the death of me haha

I tried two 2 liter bottles a few times and always came up with the same problem. At the tee valve, the pressure of the two bottles just push each other from allowing co2 to go to the bubble counter or aquarium(how ever you have it set up). I would watch my bottles create co2 bubbles in the water but nothing would go to the next step. Hope this helps. Also, I got great results using twice as much baking soda as yeast in my concoction. Good luck.

Just a idea... so if your having the issue at a the tee try running both tubes directly into the next bottle (your filter bottle/ Check bottle/ Bubble counter). You will then have the bubbles come up from there then into one tube that goes to your defuser. But yes check for leaks it seems to be a problem for most of us. :p Hope this helps.

I tried above method before. If one bottle produces less bubbles than the other, it would push bubble counter water into the weaker reactor bottle.

regarding leaks; using a 2 litre cola bottle I noticed that my leak wasn't through the drilled hole, but around and under the cap. I tested by filling a small jar of water, screwing the lid on tight and blowing into the bottle through the tube.

if the bottle expands and no little bubbles: yay! mine were from under the cap and not through the hole, I found larger lid iced tea bottles screwed on tighter and it solved the problem :)

is it enough co2 ??

I finally got the seals on the 3 bottles secure using the rubber gaskets and have been producing co2..

i am using 2-2 liter bottles with the prescribed mix,,1/2 teas of baking soda and yeast with 2 cups of sugar in each of the two two liter bottles..

installed a co2 reactor with 3 bio ball powered by a power head..

i bought a glass drop checker, 4dKH water and ph indicator solution..

i can not tell if the liquid in the drop checker has changed because it seems to be blue/green to start ??

i have a 55 gal planted tank..

will the setup i described above have any REAL effect in generating enough co2 in a 55 gal tank ???

thanks, james

Back
Top Bottom