CO2 downtime?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TNfish

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello,

What's the consensus on downtime between CO2 refills (pressurized)? Does it matter if your planted tank goes a day without CO2 added, or can it be disastrous? Do you guys have a replacement canister on hand? Also, how long does it usually take for a 5 lb. tank to run out? I have been told to set the bubble rate at 2 per second, and that 5 lbs should last about 5 months. Is this accurate? I have a 125 gal. planted, wet/dry filtration, 192 W 6700K.

Any advice is appreciated.

Tom

TNfish said:
Also, how long does it usually take for a 5 lb. tank to run out? I have been told to set the bubble rate at 2 per second, and that 5 lbs should last about 5 months. Is this accurate?

That really depends on a lot of factors. The type of tubing you are using, some tubing is more resistent to CO2 loss then others. Does your rig have any leaks? even a very minor leak can make a months worth of CO2 go bye bye. Are you running it 24/7? do you have a pH controller? ect...

I just got my first pressurized system. Hopefully I'm months away from a refill!

When you get a refill, I don't think that being without CO2 for one day would be disasterous. On my refill day, I think I will reduce the amount of time that my lighting is on while the CO2 is not hooked up.

rkilling1 wrote:
That really depends on a lot of factors. The type of tubing you are using, some tubing is more resistent to CO2 loss then others. Does your rig have any leaks? even a very minor leak can make a months worth of CO2 go bye bye. Are you running it 24/7? do you have a pH controller? ect...

Good points. Don't know the type or brand of tubing, but it is supposedly rated for use with CO2. Not aware of any leaks. CO2 does not run at night. No pH controller, but that may be something to add in the future. CO2 goes into powerhead which disperses it into the tank.

An t-iasg wrote:
On my refill day, I think I will reduce the amount of time that my lighting is on while the CO2 is not hooked up.

That's a great idea. Thanks.

TNfish said:
Good points. Don't know the type or brand of tubing, but it is supposedly rated for use with CO2. Not aware of any leaks. CO2 does not run at night. No pH controller, but that may be something to add in the future. CO2 goes into powerhead which disperses it into the tank.

IF you are only running it with the lights and shortly before the lights come on and have the black CO2 tubing. I would say a 5 # tank should go for 6 months. this also depends on the plant mass. more plants = more CO2 into the tank.

I like my pH controller. It enables the CO2 to run as needed. It's not running constantly, which should lengthen the time between refills.

Back
Top Bottom