CO2 Duration

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mohican

Aquarium Advice Addict
Got all my stuff ordered and now looking at different size co2 tank sizes. Is there any calculator as to how long a bottle will last? Say 20lb or 10lb. My tank is 125 but I could do a rough take-off from smaller tank.

Well, I have a 60 gallon heavily planted tank and a 5lb has been running on mine for about a month now with almost no pressure decrease in the tank so far and I have heard people say their 5 lb tanks last at least 4 months in a 50-70 gallon so I guess a 10 lb in a 125 should last about the same if not more than a 60 gallon and a 20 lb about 6 months I want to say. I'm not so experienced with C02 tanks but that's my 2 cents lol

Thanks that really helps a lot! I may have to use 10 lb due to size to fit under my tank. Just wanted a ball park in case of leaks and stuff.

One five pound on a 40b, on/off with lights.
One five pound on a 37, pH controlled.
Both last a year.

It will depend on many things including: method of diffusion, rate of gas off, rate of uptake, etc.

Tanks blert. I'm hoping to get about 3-4 mo out of a 10lb bottle. Like u just said, I realize there will be many factors that will affect that too. This is good input, just to gauge the output of the bottle. The tank will be pH controlled and using diffuser for now.

My advice is get the largest cylinder you have the space for and can afford at this time. The bigger the cylinder the cheaper it is to fill.

Also, your co2 diffusion efficiency and how high of a level you want to maintain play a part in the equation. Better methods will make your co2 last longer.

Back
Top Bottom