CO2 for my 65g...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

zilla870

Aquarium Advice FINatic
i went with a carbo plus. anyone have any experience with one of these. i wanted a less maintenance CO2 system.

Can you return the unit? Seriously, these are junk. They cost as much as a good pressurized CO2 system for the initial startup, but then about every 2-4 months you'll have to spend $40 on a new carbon block. So another $120 a year on carbon, vs. $10-$20 a year for a CO2 cylinder fill.

Carbo+ uses the carbonate hardness in your water, and breaks it down into the CO2 your plants want. However it doesn't do this very efficiently, so it'll never really compare to a pressurized CO2 system.
Furthermore, the softer your tank water, the less CO2 it can create, and the more quickly it'll consume all your Kh, leaving you with little buffering capacity, and thus open to wild pH swings.

Lastly, it takes up more room inside the aquarium than a CO2 gas diffuser.

Carbo+ is not exactly low-maintenance either...scale will build up on the metal sleeve that holds the carbon block, reducing it's effectiveness. its hard to clean, and lots of people tend to just replace the sleeve annually, which is another $30 I think.

As I said, if you can, return it, and re-think this whole CO2 thing. If it's already in the tank...good luck.

Back
Top Bottom