Co2 for plants

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SteveZim1017

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Time for Newbie question #2 today. I have a feeling this one may get me a few different opinions

how many plants can you get away with in a 30 gallon tank before you need to worry about a co2 system?

I'm considereing about 3-4 small clums of one of the dwarf grasses, a java fern and a small piece of java moss on some driftwood. so not a lot by any means but I'd like to know if I can add more without having to worry about co2.

Hi! I think you will get a better response if you ask this question in the fw 'planted tank' forum. I dont know what the correct answer is (i am learning about plants myself!) but i have a moderately planted (low tech plants) 50gal with no fancy lights or co2 system. I do add a co2 booster & fertilizer when i do 2x week pwcs. A co2 system wont be in my future either because goldfish have very high oxygen needs and co2 competes with oxygen in the water. My fish come before my plants! Good luck!

Moved to Planted Tanks forum.

It's not really a matter of how many plants. It's a matter of your lighting. If you have high lighting, injecting co2 becomes more of a need than it does when you have low or even moderate lighting.

Jonathan is correct.

Without a CO2 system, your tank will stay at equilibrium with the CO2 concentration found in the air (usually around 7 ppm). As you increase light, and grow plants with higher demands, you use CO2 to "unnaturally" increase the available CO2 in the water. With the plants you intend to grow, you may be able to get away with lower light and no CO2 -- though dwarf hairgrass will do much, much better under higher lighting and with CO2 injection.

I'm not entirely sure that I agree with what's been stated previously. Hear me out here.

I think that it is at least possible to have a scenario where too many plants that would otherwise NOT need CO2 will be limited by the CO2 found in the water. In a normal aquarium around 76 degrees, oxygen levels and CO2 levels are actually going to be very similar, around 8 ppm. However, low O2 saturation is not uncommon in non-planted aquariums, as still surfaces and overstocking can lead to less gas exchange and therefore begin to deplete the oxygen levels in solution. This problem is easily mended by increasing surface agitation and/or an airstone. This problem comes up very little in planted tanks because the plants also serve to add O2 to the water. Now, where does that leave us with plants and CO2? Like fish, plants will deplete the CO2 over time. However, if you were stocked in such a way that the CO2 would be removed very rapidly from the water (say, an entire tank of wisteria). It is entirely possible that the plants would use CO2 faster than it would re-enter the tank from the atmosphere.

Another interesting point: while CO2 and O2 have similar equilibrium levels in an aquarium, O2 has CO2 beat hands down in atmospheric levels. Whereas oxygen is about 21% of the atmosphere, CO2 is about .03%, or roughly 700x less. This suggest to me that CO2 would be much slower to re-equilibrate than O2, further lending to the idea that CO2 could be depleted in a moderate light but not CO2-obligatory situation.

I think that, more than anything, this is an interesting thought exercise, as I don't think that the OP is anywhere near these hypothetical plant levels, or even if they are feasible to reach. Interesting to think about though. I'm thinking about trying to carpet a tank with wisteria in the near future, so it might actually have some ramifications for me.

Hmm. I guess if you had enough plants, you might run in to that. But.... with adequate surface agitation, and in a tank less than... lets say 300g... I don't even think it would be a consideration. Obviously, that's no scientific answer, just a thought.

I think that realistically, for the tank in question, espcially with the few plants listed, this isn't a consideration.

Back
Top Bottom