CO2 Generator

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Neal

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I recently purchased a JBL CO2 Set Model "easy 1".

It is indeed easy to set up, but my problem is with the continuous CO2 / pH tester supplied. This unit comprises a small plastic thimble that is half -filled with aquarium water (fresh), with a reagent then being added.

This thimble is then inverted, and immersed in the aquarium. I assume that the CO2 in the aquarium water is supposed to enter the thimble from below, and react with the water/reagent to change the colour.

The colour change that I'm getting indicates a high pH (which is actually neutral as verified using my test kit) and a high CO2 (which I cannot verify), but I've only got the gas flow set very low.

Does anyone have experience with the accuracy of these JBL permanent CO2 / pH testers? Is there anyparticular location within the Aquarium (an Aqua-One AR620T) where I should place it?

Thanks - Neal

Moved to the Planted Tank forum.

I have never seen this particular CO2 generator-pH tester. Hopefully someone else has!

If you have a KH (carbonate hardness) test kit along with your pH test kit, you can calculate your CO2 level. Plug the pH and KH values into this calculator: (about halfway down the page)

http://www.csd.net/~cgadd/aqua/art_plant_co2chart.htm

I know this doesn't answer your setup question but it may be helpful to verify your CO2 level.

Thanks for moving my post to the Plant Forum, and also for the link to the article and the on-line calculator. The JBL brand generator (www.jbl.de) purchased in Australia is supplied with the in-tank continuous tester.

Thanks again.

- Neal -

Back
Top Bottom