CO2 help needed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

flyjawn

Aquarium Advice Activist
i've bought one of thosde Hagen Natural Plant CO2 systems (i know DIY is cheaper but i like the look of this setup) and i've used their packet ingredients because it's included in the purchase - BUT nothing is happening. no bubbles.

the instructions say that bubbles will appear between 2-10 hours but its been close to 10 hours and i've got nothing.

how long should i wait before just making my own mix using my own ingredients? i'm concerned that the yeast in the packs is dead and therefore i'm wasting my time...

If you don't see anything in 24 hours. I would suggest mixing up a new batch. It does sound like a dud. What is the ambient temperature where you have the bottle?

I just installed the same system and I don't know how long it took cause I went to bed. Give it awhile longer before you give up. Sometimes it takes a while to build the pressure up enough to bubble.

I guess the yeast could go bad, but if it was sealed it should be good for a long time.

If you used cold water to make it up, it will take longer for the yeast to consume the suger and produce CO2.

If you don't see anything in the next 12 hours, I would remake it up using warm, not hot, water and see what happens. If that doesn't do it, then I would make up your own.

rich311k said:
If you don't see anything in 24 hours. I would suggest mixing up a new batch. It does sound like a dud. What is the ambient temperature where you have the bottle?

i don't actually know the temp in here (my building is ancient and i don't have a thermostat) but the bottle is supposed to be a type of thermos. and i'm sitting here in the room with no pants on so i think it's warm enough! ;)

so i'll wait a while longer and then if nothing happens i'll mix my own batch.

thanks!!

I made a thread on this a while ago. I have since switched to normal DIY, and then to pressurized.

It took me over 10 hours to even see the CO2 creeping down the bubble ladder. Give it a little while. If you don't even see it creeping down after a day, I guess I would try another batch.

IME it does take a while to start producing though.

Check the dates on the packets. Depending on how long the Hagen System has been sitting on the shelf, they may have expired.

The other possibility is that if you have really hard water and added the entire stabilizer packet (baking soda) you may have killed the yeast. If you've got hard water then you may want to try just half a stabilizer packet, or skip it all together.

well i made my own mix and it's working! woohoo!

but aren't the bubbles supposed to be going up the ladder type thing in the tank? because they're not, they're just floating up to the top. it's kind of hard to see because there are plants in the way so later on tonight i'm going to take a closer look.

Your mix won't produce a net increase in gas volume until all the oxygen in the bottle is used up, and it switches to anaerobic respiration. Make sure your hoses are all in place, and give it some time.

I have that system installed in my 20G planted community. Make sure that you have the tubing connected in the proper position otherwise the bubbles will not be directed up the ladder properly.
I actually was watching it work last night and you can actually see the CO2 being absorbed. By the time my bubbles reach the top of the ladder they have been absorbed and are practically nonexistant. My kids want to know where the bubbles went.

Yeah, it was always fun to watch the bubbles climb the ladder.

When you first set it up (the first time) it will take a day or so for the bubbles to roll up the ladder like they're supposed to. It will burp a lot and the bubbles will get stuck on the ladder, etc. Just make sure everything is hooked up correctly (as stated above) and leave it alone.

thanks guys, it's working wonderfully now. and yes you can see the bubble shrinking as they climb.

luckily my daughter is only 2 so she's too young to ask me where the bubbles are going... all she says is "ooooooh bubbles!"

Back
Top Bottom