Co2 injection

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rico

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I was hoping someone could help me with co2. I have a 30g heavily planted tank and I am putting co2 in there but I can only really tell if I'm putting too much or too little by checking the ph with my ph pen. At the moment I have it at about 8 seconds per bubble. Someone mentioned to use a drop checker which I will inquire about but what I really want to know is how do you know what amount of co2 the tank needs?

It depends on what your goal is for the plants, the type of plants, the amount of light and the duration of exposure in addition to the fert method you use.

I wouldn't worry too much about a drop checker. Even the venerable Tom Barr said he doubts about the actual accuracy of that method.

Tell us a little about the plants you have, why you are adding CO2 and what you hope it will do for you.

One bubble every 8 seconds probably won't do a lot for your plants.

Well where do I begin. I've only had the tank for almost one full year. I've gone through my share of plants in the process but I'm not very good with the names of the plants which is not good on my part I know. I know I got some ferns and anubius. I basically was told that I would need co2 from my local fish store if I was to put more than 2-3 plants in my 30 gallon. I noticed that in the aquarium in the store is a 90 gallon they had it at 4 seconds per bubble. I figured to do simple math but 12 seconds per bubble wouldn't b near enough so I have it at 8. I was also worried about my ph going to low if I put too much co2 but to b honest I was 2 scared to test it on my fish. I'm starting a new separate tank which I want to put cardinals and discuses, fully planted of course and I was going to take my time b4 putting in the fish. I got the real deal 5 pound co2 tank with regulator and an aqua medic reactor 500. I already have it for both tanks so I definitely want to take advantage. Thanks so much for your help and patience.

Nice, and it's good you are being cautious for the sake of the fish.

Generally, CO2 is recommended at 3 bubbles per second, rarely more. You will probably need at least one bubble per second to make a difference in your plant growth, if that is your goal.

Generally, anubius is a very slow growing plant, regardless of CO2, lighting, etc.

It would really depend on the type of moss you have to determine if co2 will be helpful or not.

You LFS was wrong about needing co2 for more than two or three plants.

As you already have a nice co2 system, you might want to research medium or high light plants that will benefit from added CO2 before you go any further. Look at your choices - there are many - before you buy more.

Also, it is important for fish to acclimate to CO2 injection, so you might want to add the fish and gradually increase the CO2 as you add more plants. Don't be scared, just watch your tank carefully.

What wattage is your light and how long is it on?

Holy shmoley 3 bubbles per second!!!!!! I had it at 8 seconds per bubble LOL! Are you sure about that? Don't forget it's only 30 gallons. Sorry I'm just so shocked. So here's the deal, in my present tank of 30g I have 19 tetras, 1 dwarf gourami, 1 yoyo loach, about 6 shrimp and 2 octocincus. The tank is full of plants. So the new tank is 25g and I'm close to being able to test out stuff. So as for lighting on my present tank I had a corallife 65watt 6700k compact florescent bulb. The thing that drove me crazy is that the bulb is only about 21 inches and the bulb sits all the way on the right so really only 2/3rds of the tank was getting properly lit. So I got a new fixture, an aqua life t5ho with a white bulb and a rose bulb. The bulbs are still shorter than the 30inches of the tank but it's in the middle of the fixture which is so much better. The bulbs are 24watts each but the reflector is very good. It's just so much better!!! So I'm taking the old coral life fixture for the new tank. Right beside the new tank I have a 200 watt florescent bulb in a closet for house plants about 8 feet away which I believe will take care of the section of the tank that might lack any light. So on the present tank I have the lights on for 10 hours and indirect light for 2 hours before and 2 hours after(comes from that 200 watt, but this present tank is about 15-20 feet away from the bulb). Other than that I make sure to keep it pitch black.

I have a few different LFS that I go to but the plant selection is always very rough and and the knowledge there varies on who's working there. For example I'm trying to get my hands on a Siamese algae eater and it's really hard. One store, which is a pet store says they r on backorder, it's been a month. So I'm looking to try and order fish and plants online. Don't have a clue where to start plus I'm in Montreal Canada and it seems where I am is not so big on freshwater aquariums :(

I would love to show u pics but I need a few days to get my sh¥t together, if your interested of course. Thanks again so much!!! I really do appreciate it!!!!

And another question is should I then just start slowly increasing the co2. How do I know when to stop? I should check my ph at the same time right?

Holy shmoley 3 bubbles per second!!!!!! I had it at 8 seconds per bubble LOL! Are you sure about that? Don't forget it's only 30 gallons

Yes, I'm positive.

And another question is should I then just start slowly increasing the co2. How do I know when to stop? I should check my ph at the same time right?

Your ph will drop with the injection, however, fish tolerate the ph drop from co2 injection quite well.

After you add the fish, increase the number of bubbles very gradually every day until you are up to at least one bubble per second. Increase it upwards from there if you don't get the type of growth you desire - this can take several weeks to determine.

You may want to add an airstone (if you don't already have one) to ensure proper gas off and prevent CO2 overdosing once you go above 1 drop per second.

Believe me, the select of plants and fish is willy-nilly in most places, not just Canada.

And yes, we always love photos around here!

What do you mean by gas off? I thought that an air stone would release the co2 that's in the water and nullify the whole process ???

So in the new tank at what ratio would I b starting it off b4 I head towards 1 bubble per second. And in my present tank of 8 seconds per bubble I slowly start from that?

How did the lighting sound?

I will def post some pic in a few days. Is there any way I can add u as a contact? Would love to c some pics myself :) Ty ty Ty

Gas off/gas exchange refers to the process of ensuring your water does not overldose on CO2 and prevent your fish from processing oxygen from the water column.

As for the coralife bulb, if you can, you might want to replace it with one rated at 7500 to 10000 kelvins, which is the spectrum best processed by plants.

Hard to say if the 200 watt CFL will do much good in the darker corners of the tank, just because its so far away.

You have a nice new fixture, but I'm not sure about the lamps inside, especially the rose colored one. The wattage is good, but its the kelvins and color spectrum (daylight or full spectrum) that will determine how well your plants grow under the light.

CO2 is weird, but like much of aquaria, is part hard science and part art.

I learn something new almost everyday, and I've been injecting (DIY and then regulated) for over two years now.

That's interesting you say that because I am about to buy a bulb online and they recommended a 6700k for freshwater. The coral life comes with a 6700k and the new aqua life is 6000k but is specifies that's it's for freshwater. Interesting stuff. Something to consider hardcore...
Again in my present tank u suggest I slowly increase the co2 slowly but surly but when I start the new tank what ratio should I start with. I presume I don't go 1 bubble per second right away but do I want to go as slow as I am on my present tank at 8 seconds per bubble????

6700k for freshwater. The coral life comes with a 6700k and the new aqua life is 6000k but is specifies that's it's for freshwater. Interesting stuff. Something to consider hardcore...

Kelvin ratings in light effect how your plants grow. 6500K and lower gives off that sickly yellow color of light, while 7500k and above gives off more of a bluish color, which promotes leafy growth in plants.

As for the number of bubbles to start with, go ahead and start with what you are comfortable with.

Just remember that the less you inject, the less benefit your plants will get.

You have been so amazing mudraker. Thanks so much. I will get back to u soon with pics, and results. Really appreciate everything. Huge help!!!

There are numerous places on the web to find the formula or the chart for determining CO2 concentration based on pH and KH readings
The first one that came up in my Google search lusts three methods for making the determination and includes the chart
www.theaquatools.com/co2-calculations
The recommended concentration, if my memory serves me correctly, is 10-25 ppm

Generically speaking, co2 concentration is recommended to be 30ppm.

Such calculators can be helpful when trying to achieve a specific goal, but as Rico here isn't even sure about the types of moss/plants he has, it would probably be a lot less frustrating to adjust co2 by plant health.

Even Tom Barr is currently posting that the kh/ph calculation is often inaccurate.

Ferts haven't been discussed yet either.

Frankly, I wish I'd been given this more no-nonsense, not-so-sciency advice when first getting into CO2.

I followed all the so-called "expert" advice with hard science rules etc. It took all the fun out of enjoying my planted aquarium. Plus, the results weren't always what was promised.

It wasn't until I read - and re-read - Greg Watson's guide that stresses following a few simple rules and trusting your own judgement that my plants began to flourish and my satisfaction with this side of the hobby returned. :)

Hey mudraker,
So I've got it at 3 seconds per bubble and I noticed instant improvement right away. Just wanted to say thank you. You are right about keeping it simple and enjoying the hobby. I also started to add some plant food and hopefully that will help as well. Take care

Back
Top Bottom