CO2 injection

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

WiiSports

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a 55gal planted aquarium I just started getting into planted aquariums so I’m really confused with this whole thing...I don’t know when to turn on and off my co2? I’m using a 20oz paintball tank as my co2 canister cause it was much cheaper than buying a giant co2 thing and within about a week or two I ran out of co2 so I’m pretty sure I was running it wayyyy to long it ran it 24/7 and I don’t think I’m supposed to go through that canister that quickly...so I don’t know how much co2 I need for my 55gal tank and how to inject it properly...any suggestions??

I would have CO2 turn on 2 hours before the lights, and shut off when the lights shut off. This is always best done with a solenoid valve on a timer in sync with your lights on a timer.

Sorry to tell you, but 20oz of CO2 on a 55 gallon won't last you very long, a few weeks to a month max.

Ensure CO2 is dropping the pH of the tank water a full 1.0 – 1.2. To do this, measure the pH of tank water with no CO2 dissolved in it, and then measure again 2-3 hours after CO2 has been running. Ensure the drop in pH is a full 1.0-1.2. If the drop is not there yet, slowly up CO2 over a few weeks until at least a 1.0 drop is achieved, and watch fish / livestock carefully. Adjust CO2 down if you notice fish gasping at the surface and consider running an airstone at night when pushing a 1.2 or greater drop. For example, a tank water pH of 7.5 with no CO2 dissolved in it, should reach a pH of 6.5 – 6.3 for CO2 to really shine, and for maximum plant health.
Consistency in CO2 levels is key to plant health. Keep CO2 levels as stable as possible once a desirable level has been reached.

Back
Top Bottom