CO2 Injection Advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jetstorm369

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey guys, I'm not sure how to approach this; should I get the fluval CO2 kit which requires buying their prefilled CO2 canisters? Or should I get my own regulator and paintball canister? Any advice or specific brand names/examples will be greatly appreciated, thanks!

I'd definitely go paintball.. Those little cartridges on the Fluval kit will run out sooner and cost you more in the long run. Check out my GLA 5g on my sig.. I'm using the Aquatek mini regulator. It has a solenoid valve and if you get it from their Ebay store, you get a bubble counter with integrated check valve and co2 resistant tubing.

I was going to buy the 20oz co2 tanks on Amazon. But i called around a bit to the local paintball stores and found a shop that offers 5 free refills if i purchased the cylinders from them. The upfront cost was more for the tanks, but after calculating the refills in, i practically get the tanks for free.

I'd definitely go paintball.. Those little cartridges on the Fluval kit will run out sooner and cost you more in the long run. Check out my GLA 5g on my sig.. I'm using the Aquatek mini regulator. It has a solenoid valve and if you get it from their Ebay store, you get a bubble counter with integrated check valve and co2 resistant tubing.

I was going to buy the 20oz co2 tanks on Amazon. But i called around a bit to the local paintball stores and found a shop that offers 5 free refills if i purchased the cylinders from them. The upfront cost was more for the tanks, but after calculating the refills in, i practically get the tanks for free.

I've also heard about this Aquatek mini regulator you speak of! If its not too much trouble, can you send me a link for it? Better yet, can you confirm if it's this one? http://www.amazon.com/AQUATEK-OF-CA...9880693&sr=8-1&keywords=aquatek+co2+regulator Thank you!

Yup that's the one. I mainly shop Amazon too and utilize their reviews a lot to weigh in on my purchases.. But you can get the same regulator coming from the same seller in their Ebay store for a little less because they throw in free co2 tubing.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/230840227751?redirect=mobile

I really like the Fluval Ceramic Diffuser on Amazon though.. I use it on one of my tanks and it creates a very fine mist of co2 bubbles compared to my more attractive (and more expensive) glass ceramic diffuser. For a good value, i recommend that one.

Yup that's the one. I mainly shop Amazon too and utilize their reviews a lot to weigh in on my purchases.. But you can get the same regulator coming from the same seller in their Ebay store for a little less because they throw in free co2 tubing.

New Aquatek CO2 Regulator Mini with Integrated Cool Touch Solenoid | eBay

I really like the Fluval Ceramic Diffuser on Amazon though.. I use it on one of my tanks and it creates a very fine mist of co2 bubbles compared to my more attractive (and more expensive) glass ceramic diffuser. For a good value, i recommend that one.

Hey, aside from the tubing, is there anything else that I'd get from the ebay seller that I wouldn't get from Amazon? Also, would you recommend the glass or the ceramic diffuser? Thanks again mate

Well aside from the free tubing.. the ebay listing is $10 bucks cheaper! Both are free shipping... so to me it's a no brainer. Unless for some reason you feel more comfortable buying from Amazon... it literally comes from the same place it's just more expensive with less freebies on Amazon because Amazon charges sellers more fees than Ebay does.

About the diffuser.. they're both ceramic as in the porous disk that is made out of 'ceramic'... It's just the glass ones are made to look more appealing because the housing is made of glass. On the flip side, the glass is also fragile. If you're not putting the diffuser in a rimless tank, IMO, you should just get the Fluval diffuser because like I mentioned, the ceramic disk on that one is really good and the bubbles come out super fine.

Amazon.com: Fluval Ceramic 88g-CO2 Diffuser - 3.1 Ounces: Pet Supplies

But it's all up to you and what "you" want to do. I mean, I don't know what type of tank this co2 system is going in.

About the diffuser.. they're both ceramic as in the porous disk that is made out of 'ceramic'... It's just the glass ones are made to look more appealing because the housing is made of glass. On the flip side, the glass is also fragile. If you're not putting the diffuser in a rimless tank, IMO, you should just get the Fluval diffuser because like I mentioned, the ceramic disk on that one is really good and the bubbles come out super fine.

Amazon.com: Fluval Ceramic 88g-CO2 Diffuser - 3.1 Ounces: Pet Supplies

But it's all up to you and what "you" want to do. I mean, I don't know what type of tank this co2 system is going in.

It's a 30g planted community tank. Do you recommend a bubble counter? Thanks for coping with my questions lol

For a 30g you might want to consider a full size regulator. The aquatek or Milwaukee ma957 kits have a solenoid and bubble counter on them. It's a little more cost up front but you'll make up for it in refills.

+1

Jeta's advice is good. I'd get the full sized regulator and buy a 5lbs or 10lbs cylinder... It would last you a LONG time before you'd have to get it refilled.

Milwaukee regulators are tried and true... I've only heard some negatives about their needle valves or something of the sort..

I like Aquatek, although it's a relatively new company.. but so far people reported nothing but good things about them.. I don't think the warranty is that great, but no one is complaining so far. But maybe that's a good thing because no one had to use it?

For the interest of saving money, but still getting a quality rig.. I would piece the stuff together. The Aquatek regulators are competitively priced.

Here's a shopping list (feel free to change it up):

-Aquatek Regulator HERE - $79.99
-comes with tubing and bubble counter w/ integrated check valve
-Fluval Diffuser (here) - $10
-U.P. Aqua Co2 Drop Checker (here) - $8.79
-4 dKH Reference Solution For Co2 Drop Checker pH HERE - $7.50
-5 LB CO2 Cylinder, Aluminum tank. Found one on Amazon with good reviews for $66.35 (here)

Grand total w/ 5lb co2 tank - Around $170
*these prices fluctuate daily almost... LOL

Maybe Jeta or someone else can make better recommendations, please feel free to chime in and alter this list... but IMO, it should do the job.

I'd get the tank locally, I know with my local airgas that they do swapouts only instead of refills so for me it'd be a waste to get a nice aluminum one. Also check Craigslist for co2 tanks.

Also I recently purchased a combo glass drop checker and 4dkh, I think it was around 12 bucks. You'd still need to provide the bromothymol blue (ph reagent)

Last edited:
+1

Jeta's advice is good. I'd get the full sized regulator and buy a 5lbs or 10lbs cylinder... It would last you a LONG time before you'd have to get it refilled.

Milwaukee regulators are tried and true... I've only heard some negatives about their needle valves or something of the sort..

I like Aquatek, although it's a relatively new company.. but so far people reported nothing but good things about them.. I don't think the warranty is that great, but no one is complaining so far. But maybe that's a good thing because no one had to use it?

For the interest of saving money, but still getting a quality rig.. I would piece the stuff together. The Aquatek regulators are competitively priced.

Here's a shopping list (feel free to change it up):

-Aquatek Regulator HERE - $79.99
-comes with tubing and bubble counter w/ integrated check valve
-Fluval Diffuser (here) - $10
-U.P. Aqua Co2 Drop Checker (here) - $8.79
-4 dKH Reference Solution For Co2 Drop Checker pH HERE - $7.50
-5 LB CO2 Cylinder, Aluminum tank. Found one on Amazon with good reviews for $66.35 (here)

Grand total w/ 5lb co2 tank - Around $170
*these prices fluctuate daily almost... LOL

Maybe Jeta or someone else can make better recommendations, please feel free to chime in and alter this list... but IMO, it should do the job.

Hey, like I said, I'm totally new to this :[ what are the drop checker and 4dKH reference solution used for? Thanks!

The drop checker is a co2 indicator that is filled with a pH testing solution (bromothymol blue), that comes with it by the way, and 4 dKH reference solution to get an accurate reading... People use to just use tank water instead of 4dKH but that was determined to be inaccurate. You can make and calibrate your own 4dKH solution (hint: there's a sticky in the planted section of this forum) or just buy it, which i do.

The drop checker is placed inside the aquarium, close to the top... Gases rise in the water column and enter the drop checker chamber to react with the (bromothymol blue) indicator solution. If your drop checker is blue, co2 levels are too low. Green is good... Yellow is too much.

So this provides a visual representation of how well or how much co2 is being diffused.

Edit: here's the link to the sticky...
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forum...ce-kh-solution-for-co2-measurement-88293.html

More info on drop checkers:
http://greenleafaquariums.com/co2-drop-checkers.html

Back
Top Bottom