CO2 injections questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

purplestarfish

Aquarium Advice Activist
I'd like to eventually have a heavily planted, dense, jungle-like tank . . . sometime within a few years, hopefully! (I already have some plants in my tank; they are nearest to the sunlight and are growing well; my Cabomba has strands at least 24" long which I will be cutting. I hadn't been able to before due to my being on vacation. But to get back on topic . . . ) However, to ensure the healthiness of the plants, I know I have to have CO2 injections. I'm on a bit of a budget, so I can't afford the really hi-tech systems that work really well. Any alternatives? :? What has worked best for the rest of you? I will also be getting more efficient lighting for the tanks to aid the plants' health. Also, if you are using a siphon to remove water and clean gravel, will this damage the roots of the plants? If so, is there another way to remove debris from the gravel without disturbing the water, plants, decorations, or fish? And finally (whew!), are air-adders like bubblewands beneficial to plants, as they supposedly add oxygen instead? Many thanks in advance! :)

I'm on a bit of a budget, so I can't afford the really hi-tech systems that work really well. Any alternatives? What has worked best for the rest of you?
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=5148&highlight=hagen+co2

Heck yeah! The Hagen Co2 system works great check this link. It also has other links within to tell you everything you needto know about diy co2, very cheaply!
Also, if you are using a siphon to remove water and clean gravel, will this damage the roots of the plants? If so, is there another way to remove debris from the gravel without disturbing the water, plants, decorations, or fish?
just vacuum the surface of the gravel lightly, the fish waste should stay in the gravel as plant food. just get the ugly stuff off the top. Ifyou do try to deep clean the gravel, yes you will damage plant roots.

And finally (whew!), are air-adders like bubblewands beneficial to plants, as they supposedly add oxygen instead? Many thanks in advance!

No bubblers! They will drive off the co2 you are adding to the water, so no bubblers, period. Surface agitation in a plant tank should be minimal at best. The plants will make all the O2 your fish will need, plus extra.

Thanks so much for the info, corvuscorax; it's MASSIVELY appreciated. :wink: I returned from an excursion to the library (I practically live there . . . :roll: ) laden with books for really nice planted tank ideas, so I'm super gung-ho. And the information about the bubblers was much needed . . . I have one right now, but I'll be more than happy to remove it; the pump is way too loud anyway! The link will help wonderfully, too, so I'm indebted. I'm so excited now. Can't wait to start . . . seems like I've been bitten by the green thumb (water) bug! Thanks! :mrgreen:

Back
Top Bottom