CO2 options for 55 gal???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

J rider

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi All,
Well, I have a post in the unhealthy forum as well because some of my fish are not doing so well. But, I feel as much responsibility for my plants. I have had up and downs with my plants and since the very beginning everyone has reccommended that I get CO2 for my tank. I'm in the midst of ordering more dry ferts and test kits too. My problem...algae. One kind then another.
I cannot spend $200 on a CO2 system. I was following the posts of someone else who got the whole injectable system and cost him about that maybe more.
Can anyone with experience tell me what I can effectively use for around $100? The system needs CO2 source, then diffuser competent, then monitor, then well you tell me. Please ; )
Specific names of products would be helpful.
Thanks,
Jackie

10 inches of fish in 55 gal
120W
Fluval 304
Kents micronutrient (weekly after water change)
weekly water change of 30-40%
amm, nitrites = 0
pH stable 7.6
GH 6-8

You don't have to have a monitor. You just need a bottle with regulator, a way to count the bubbles and a way to diffuse the co2 into the water. You can make a diffuser out of a aquarium vac head and a $10.00 power head. Check out ebay for the bottle and regulator or check out used tool and equipment places where you live. To use this bare bones system, you start at a slow bubble rate then test for co2. You raise the bubble rate a step at a time to get the co2 amount you want. Have you considered a DIY setup till you get something better?

Jackie, read the peice written by madasafish on CO2 in the articles section. It explains everything in great depth including pictures. :wink:

120watts over 55gallons = over 2wpg, so yes CO2 will benefit your plants, and likely push back the algae.

For less than $10 worth of PVC pipe, you can build an in-line reactor for the CO2 to dissolve, since you have a canister filter. Then that's one less piece of equipment in the tank.

However, what's your Kh? you only list Gh, which is pointless in terms of CO2 injection. You need at least 3 dKh to inject CO2 safely.

its a start

Hello everyone,
I'll get the article and start to decide what I want. I'm not super handy so I need to go with a simple plan. Yes 120W over 55 gallons. I'll be getting the KH test kit this week in the mail I ordered a Salifert. Also ordered phosphate and nitrates, I hope that covers it.
Thanks

new tests

Hi,
I'm continuing treatment but I just did some water tests with my new test kits. This is before water change, I think I'll do one tomorrow then add more parasite clear.
nitra = 5 mg/L
KH = 11.5 dKH, 4.11 meq/L
phoshapte = 1 mg/L
pH = 7.6
What do you think?
Thanks

It's best if you can keep your phosphates around .1. 1/10 of your present reading. Phosphate is usually caused by left over food and decomposing plants. It is one of the prime causes of algae. You should take some tap water that has sat out over night and test it for nitrates and phosphates.

Back
Top Bottom