co2 production rate

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mumrah

Aquarium Advice Freak
What is a typical production rate (bubble/sec) for a diy co2 system?

I'm counting ~1.7 bubbles/sec for a 1L i just threw together (not a great mix).

no typical rate. it depends entirely on how big a container you used, how much sugar, and the temperature of the solution.
But 1bps is pretty good for DIY, but if its real new (24-36 hours old) expect it to slow down after a couple days. Its always a little more active at the start, then levels off, then slows way down near the end. Its a good idea when you see it start to slow down (3 weeks) to get another 1L started, so you can change it out before it stops completely...keeping CO2 a little more consistent.

thanks. but this system is in a test enviroment. no fish in there.

i'm simply messing around with different variable to get good co2 delivery for little money.

I run 4, 2-liter bottles, changing 2 of them every 2 weeks... I get about 1-3 bps on my gas separator/bubble counter. Like Malkore said, it depends on how long the bottles have been running.

greenmaji's right. it's the carbonate hardness, or Kh, that the fish sense, and induces spawning. because pH and Kh are related, a lower pH usually means a lower Kh. CO2 artificially lowers pH from what it should be, at a given Kh. (this is why the pH/Kh chart for determing CO2 levels works)

Well, yes i want it somewhat to induce spawning, however my kh is fine.

my tap water params are:
ph: 7.6
kh: 9dkh
gh: 11dgh

after 24 hours in bare tank

ph: 7.8
kh: 7dkh
didnt test gh

after running co2 in bare tank for <24hours

ph: 7.0

ram tank params

ph: 7.6
gh: 9dgh

Whereas kh will trigger spawning and whatnot, i know a lower ph will create a better enviroment for the eggs/fry. So my goal is not entirely motivated by my rams. I also want to promote plant growth for the general wellbeing of that tank.

Back
Top Bottom