Co2 questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mikebaker

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a few questions, has anyone ever plumbed diy co2 into a fluval 404, what kind of result did you get? Second, can someone suggest a reactor which would work well for diy co2. And third is there any way to keep ph high with co2 injection (8-8.5).

Check ot the Aqua-Medic Reactor 1000. It will plumb inline with your 404 and will accept a standard air line for your CO2 supply. Best thing is...it's entirely external. No reason you couldn't build one if you were so inclined!

I've got one and it works great with my pressurized CO2. No bubbles in the tank and it's very efficient.

The way I understand thoe membrane reactors, they must be placed deep and in high current to be effective. I looked at them, but was concerned about algae growth and junk blocking the membranes.

If I read my chart correctly, to maintain high pH and high CO2, you would have to have to have EXTREMELY hard water. My calculator says you would have to have 200 degree of KH to achieve 19 ppm of CO2, but I don't know if that calculator can be trusted at such extremes. You'll just have to try it.

What reason do you have for keeping the pH that high?

The concensus seems to be most fish species will adapt to almost all pH ranges... If you really want t okeep your high pH, you may just have to due without CO2. With moderate light you can have a sucessful tank without CO2

You sound like someone who might be interested in keeping plants with African cichlids :)

I use calcium carbonate to keep my pH at around 7.0-7.2 with a KH of 12-14 and use CO2 injection as well for a grand total of 25-30 ppm CO2. Your Africans will thank you for the hardness and your plants will thank you for the CO2 (I can only hope that's why you're doing this). If your KH dips you can always buffer the water with sodium bicarbonate (baking soda) but use it sparingly as it tends to cause nasty marl (black growth - not to be confused with BBA) on your slow-growing plants. PM me for more info on this weird sort of set-up if you're truly interested in it :)

yes, i am keeping cichlids in my tank, and i have also been using sodium chloride to boost it, but i can't seem to keep up... i'll try the aquamedic reactor... thanks

Back
Top Bottom