Co2 Reactor

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Nelsontreyjones

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a question about Co2 diffusion. I brought a used Co2 regulator, reactor, pH controller, and a 5 lb tank but no pump. Right now I am not using the ph controller and have everything hooked up. I am using the output of my canister with is a Fluval 206. My question is that the output inst strong enough to spin the bio balls, which I'm guessing is to chop up the bubbles. I posted two video to show how it is coming out. Will it still work like this or is it just wasting Co2.

This is the reactor
img_2262474_0_ed301febff9fe745f9f1bddee45c93da.jpg

(Click on the picture to view)

Last edited:
The bioballs only function to create turbulence and additional surface area. They should not be moving. The real test as far as functionality goes is of you're having a lot of bubbles come out of the reactor.

Yes there is still bubble coming out. If you click on the picture they will open up to a video of what it looks like.

There's quite a bit of gas coming out, so I'm wondering if it's all CO2. Is there still a lot of gas in the reactor (ie newly installed), or possibly the filter? Do you have the water going in from the top and out through the bottom? Can you upload a picture of your setup?

img_2262742_0_1f1d28f51d3336e69d528e9236d05c5c.jpg

img_2262742_1_91769c2c1959b31cd918cd6922a56869.jpg

I have the output of my canister going from the bottom of the reactor through the top. It is newly installed but it has been doing this for the last 2 weeks. But I haven't been running it everyday during that period because I had a solenoid problem. There is no gas in the filter. If I turn off the Co2 there is no bubbles.

Oh wow I just looked up the manual. I have the inlet and output backwards. So would it be a matter of flipping it, or do I need to reroute the inlet and output.

Last edited:
Yup, that reactor's upside down. It's actually a pretty common mistake.

You want the CO2 to be entering the reactor at the top near the intake. If you just flipped it with your current arrangement of tubing, the CO2 would be entering very near the output and might just be quickly sucked out. Your best bet would be redoing your tubing arrangement.

Okay, well I guess its back to Home Depot I go. I hate messing with the kinks in vinyl tubing. I have been using Plastic 90-Degree Elbows. Would that be able to work?

Okay I redid the plumping. Is it normal for the reactor to be about 1/5 full of water. The water is dropping from the top with a waterfall effect over the bio balls but it is leaving the reactor at a rate to where it will only be about 1/5 full.

Video

Pcitures

img_2263797_1_12a50581eb849a905b2be742083afbd4.jpg

img_2263797_2_8a0c54bcba3c25fa45b3e42b20262a0e.jpg

Last edited:
It's still not working right. You shouldn't have any gas in the reactor, or at least only a little at the top. Try inverting it (if you can) so that the air can get out.

No problem. I see from your other pics that you already have a drop checker, so it looks like you're in good shape. :cool:

If it stays blue, that means you're not getting any CO2 into the system. Are you using the reagent it came with of your own low range pH drops.

Yeah I did use the reagent with my API low range. Maybe I messed up the first time. Ill try it again. I filled the drop half way with reagent then added 5 drops of the API solution. It then turn blue. Either it hard to tell if it change colors or it never did. Ill raise the bps up some to see of anything happens.

Back
Top Bottom