CO2 reactor built and connected

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Edward61

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I went to another Home Depot last night and no luck. Was looking for another ACE hardware when someone told me there was a new Lowes down the street. Figured it was worth a shot -- they had enough pieces for me to make a new reactor without a handful of reducers. Here is my reactor. No leaks on this one :dance:

img_1370306_0_c056e3744ba0040e50d2c96b8a8630f2.jpg

I have normal PH 7.5 reading - reducing it to 7.1 with the SMS 122 monitor.

Today I had the CO2 hooked up and running and never got any pearling on my plants. My plants are growing like mad right now so I will watch it over the next few days. My order of the pre-mixed micro/macro fertilizer should arrive tomorrow.

Nice setup. Built my own from 3 inch PVC, a threaded plug on one end(easy cleaning), and a standard cap on the other. I'll take some pics once I get my camera working again.
The thing also acts as a second mechanical filter(full of polyester batting and marbles to help the CO2 dissolve.
Do you get any bubles on your return line from your setup? They drove me nuts on my original setup.

Thanks.

Mfdrookie516 - I decided to go this route after reading your 40BR thread. It resembles yours from the pictures and link you supplied.

I do not have bubbles in my return. I did at first when the system had to work out the small air bubble after initial filling. It now runs smoothly and breaks the CO2 down without spitting small bubbles.

Edit - I do not have anything inside, I just let the water flow break down the CO2 bubbles.

Last edited:
I put in a plastic one. I ordered a 6-pack from Dr Foster and Smith aquatics. The reviews I read said it would do good for 6 months to a year. I made an Outlook reminder for 6 months, they are cheap and I'd rather replace them before they wear out.

To be honest, I'm not all that concerned about a check valve. There's one built in to the bubble counter (or maybe its the needle valve). My check valve isn't working on my tubing right at the reactor. Sometimes it'll have a few inches of water, but the co2 in the tubing stops it from getting very close to the bubble counter.

Back
Top Bottom