Co2 reactor question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

omgfish

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello, I have a 75 gallon planted tank and have finally given in to the co2 idea. My plants aren't taking off very well at all right now. I plan on doing pressurized co2 and dosing ferts per the EI. I know all the components of the co2 setup I want to get except for the reactor. I know alot of people like the DIY reactors, but I'm not really interested at this time. I came across these 2 reactors and was wondering if I could get some opinions or input.

1. http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Produ...ll&Ntx=mode+matchallpartial&Np=1&N=2004&Nty=1

2. http://www.floridadriftwood.com/product.asp?0=217&1=253&3=147

TIA

I currently have a Coralife 260 watt (4x65 watt 6,700K) fixture. I am only using 1/2 of it now for 1.73 wpg. Depending on how things go, I might use all of it after adding the co2. I do run a Rena XP3 and have looked into that reactor as well. I believe that has a 1/2" inlet and outlet so it has to be modded to fit the 5/8" output of the XP3. Is this correct?

That is a good light fixture. I like running my reactor in the outlet of my canister. One less thing in the tank. I know you said you don't want to do a DIY, but you could save a lot of money. Check out this link:

http://www.rexgrigg.com/diy-reactor.htm

BTW, you posted the same link twice there. That unit would probably work ok, but if you are going to be adding another thing in your tank, why not just use a powerhead and mist the CO2 in. Lots of folks do this with good success.

Oops, sorry about that. I just edited the post to show the different links. I do like the idea of having the reactor out of the tank. Is there an easy way to get that reactor to fit the tubing of the XP3?

I run mine on an XP3. You have to get little conversion barbs from the local hardware store to get the tubing down to 1/2" and then back to 3/4".

Here is mine:

DSC03746.JPG

DSC03749.JPG

The whole mess:

DSC03752.JPG

Wow, very nice. I think you've persuaded me to go with the AquaMedic. I was looking at your other post and had a quick question for you. Was there a big difference when going from 1 XP3 to 2? Thanks alot for your help! :)

I really like having two. It was either that or add a powerhead. The filter was a bit more, but I am very happy I have it. I have more flow, redundancy and better filtration.

I agree with Dan, if you don't want to go the DIY route, that reactor seems to be very reliable (hey, no moving parts).

The reactor 500 in your first post has been know to clog up from time to time and I don't think it will be enough for a 75 gallon tank.

The other one, in that same post, has been know to blow out the bottom sponge and then it doesn't dissolve CO2 anymore until you put it back on.

Is a check valve required with the AquaMedic 1000? If so, any particular one you guys recommend?

There doesn't appear to be any mention of a checkvalve incorporated into the AquaMedic Reactor 1000, so I would go ahead and add an inexpensive plastic check valve if doing DIY CO2 or a brass check valve if using pressurized CO2. The placstic check valves will be eroded by the CO2 over time, and will need to be replaced about once a year. The brass check valve is 5-10x the cost of a plastic check valve but will last a lot longer and I believe is worth the extra expense to protect your pressurized setup.

With my Milwaukee, I justed added a cheap $.50 check-valve in the CO2 tubing between the bubble counter and the reactor. It maintains enough pressure in that line that you wouldn't need one normally, but if you go to open the bubble counter to add more water, is will quickly siphon and try and drown you. :)

Well I ordered a 5lb co2 cylinder, Milwaukee ma957 regulator, the AquaMedic 1000 reactor, Azoo check valve, and 10' of co2 tubing. I also ordered all my ferts from Greg Watson. I should be starting my journey into the world of high tech planted aquariums by the end of the week. I'm excited, thanks to everyone for your help. :)

Back
Top Bottom