Co2 regulator question?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You can get the tank, that's for sure. The one I went to (a real small mom and pop shop) didn't have any regulators though. They did have the nylon washers but that was about it. I think YMMV (your mileage may vary) on what else they carry.

Next question? Do all/most regulators have a release/relief valve to keep co2 out when tank gets low? I'm researching

There are a few ways to avoid the CO2 dump/end of tank dump/etc.

The easiest and cheapest is to avoid it all together. Weigh your tank when it is full, and weigh it periodically. When you use say, 4lb out of a 5lb tank, get it refilled.

Another solution is to watch your high pressure gauge (if your reg has one). It will drop a few weeks before the tank dumps.

You can also buy relief valves that will vent the CO2 dump before it gets to your tank. You can buy relief valves that trigger at certain PSI levels. 20 or 30 would probably be good for our purposes.

Philly33 said:
Can I find what I need at a welding supply store?

It would depend on the store, give them a call. Boggs Gas here in my town has regulators and tanks but no needle valves. They also want an arm and a leg for them and 35$ to fill a five pound tank. AirGas, the next town over, will fill a five pound tank for $12.

My mom and pop shop also fills 5lb cylinders for $12. Anything more than that and you're getting ripped off, IMO.

I got an aluminum cylinder for $50 shipped from kegerator.com, but they're more expensive now. They look a lot nicer, IMO.

For what you'll pay to piece together a co2 regulator, you might as well spend the $89 and get a complete kit, with a solenoid, at eseasongear.com.

FWIW, I let my cylinder run empty twice and never had an issue... I don't think it's nearly as big of a risk when the cylinder is upright, vs on its side.

Different tanks for different gases have different connectors. Make sure the regulator you buy is designed for CO2.

That is correct aqua_chem. You will want a CGA-320 connection on your tank. That is what most regulators are and will allow for easier connections.

Back
Top Bottom