Co2 Regulators

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

zgibbs

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hello all,

Ive been running low tech for a while, and a little apprehensive to plunge into the depths CO2. I've done research and finally feel ready to dive into Co2. I am curious as to what the members of this forum regard as the best quality Co2 parts and accessories.

Also, with running Co2, what are your thoughts/recommendations on the best fert regiments. (Though I suppose that is dependent on plants, lighting, tap water quality ect...)

Looking forward to your in put. Thanks!

It's pretty much consensus that GLA sells the top of the line regulators. However, you definitely pay a premium for those products. I have had luck with cheaper aquatech CO2 regulators and currently own both the mini as well as the premium cool touch solenoid model. In 5 years I am yet to have an issue with them and you could buy 5 of them for the price of one GLA regulator. As far as diffusers go I definitely like the GLA atomic diffuser line. I use much less co2 than I used to with a cheap diffuser to get the same levels in my tank with the GLA diffuser. I definitely think GLA is worth the money for the diffuser. I recommend you take the plunge with co2 injection. In my experience the difference between co2 inject and not co2 injection in a planted tank is pretty large. That is not to say you can't have a great tank without it, I just think co2 can really help you along especially with difficult to grow species of plants.

Fertilizer wise I really like the GLA EI dry ferts package. It's like $20 and you get your macros (Potassium nitrate, Monopotassium phosphate, Potassium sulfate) and micros (CSM+B). Their website has detailed dosing instructions and with them I grew a beautiful high-tech tank for years with lush healthy plant growth.

All of this being said, If your lights don't put out enough PAR to drive plant nutrient and co2 demand you won't see much of a difference. What is your tank size and what lights are you running on it?

+1 to Dallascowboys16

Any CO2 regulator is better on a planted tank than a non-planted tank. But, cheap ones will give you more headaches in terms of reliability, consistency and longevity and quality ones will give you a more enjoyable, long term experience. BUT... both will work in any sense.

Even @ low light, CO2 helps tremendously. You may not need as much CO2 or ferts in low light though simply because you won't be driving plant growth fast enough to require higher concentrations of CO2 / nutrients.

I will also recommend an EI dosing approach. Many planted members (including myself) have been having great luck with a modified EI approach using dry fertilizers (they are the cheapest source for plant nutrients)... pick up a 50 gram scale from amazon for $20 to ensure your measurements are accurate and consistent... make sure it has the ability to measure 0.001g.

I say modified EI because we have been experimenting with many approaches, and as of lately (within the last year or so) tons of successful tanks have been pooping up using a personalized + modified EI approach using:

KNO3
KH2PO4
K2SO4
CaSO4
MgSO4
CSM+B
DTPA 11% Iron or Seachem Flourish Iron (if your pH is above 6.5)

Or I can put you in touch with a forum user who sells a custom micro package which will allow us to fully customize your fertilizer regime .... no need for CSM+B with this approach.

Back
Top Bottom