Co2 System

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It's way too small for a 55G. Basically it's an undersized DIY set up. The diffusing ladder is way too passive to have any effect on a 55G. IMO for that size tank you should really consider pressurized CO2. If not you would probably need 6 2 liter bottles of DIY CO2 to maintain any kind of decent level and it would not be a constant level. I say if you have the money go pressurized and if you don't then save until you do. Any DIY system would be hard to regulate for a 55G.

The CO2 chamber is only about 1 Liter on that kit, so you'd need about 11 for a 55 gallon and you'd want a more efficient method of diffusion. By that point you've spent more than you would on a basic Pressurized setup.

I have a Magnum 350 Canister filter. If i send the CO2 into the intake to the canister would this be a good enough disfuer?
Most likely yes that will work fine. The magnum has its impeler at the bottom and is not subject to gas-lock. As others have said, forget the store bought DIY co2, and just make your CO2 in some 2-liter bottles. Search this forum for DIY CO2 and get all the info you need. A 55g tank will take 2-4 2-liter bottles.

The next question is i'm using bio wheels should i remove them or will this matter?
Remove the bio wheels - for sure

If you're fairly handy, you could buy the necessary parts and peice it together yourself fairly inexpensively. Here's some instructions by Rex Griggs on how to put together one of these units. And here's another article that covers all the options in more detail. For the least expensive setup you'd just want to put together a manual regulator. This would involve a regulator, needle valve, and the hardware to connect them, the CO2 cylindar, some CO2 tubing, and a method to diffuse the CO2. A high quality check valve is recommended, but you can get by with a inexpensive plastic one that is replaced annually.

smittyjr18 said:
Could i use a paintball C02 20 oz cylinder with the regulator and what do you recommend for a regulator?

In order to use a paintball cylindar you would need a special regulator. You would be unlikely to be able to save much, if any money going that route as a result.

Since I've never built a custom regulator, I really haven't done the research necessary to be able recommend a specific brand/model. The main points in what to look for should be covered in the articles that I linked. You should be able to find the necessary parts at your local beer/wine shop, welding shop, or online.

Back
Top Bottom