CO2 system help. Noob

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bb2jdm

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey guys, So I have a 20g long aquarium that I'm turning into a planted tank. I have a 4t5 fixture and I have a 10000k, 67000, color max and atinic bulb. I'm setting up a co2 system but I keep reading people's forums talking about diffuser and bubble counter. I don't know what that is so can anyone help me with that. Like was it does exactly. Also if I'm missing anything else that I need. Another problem I'm having is that there isn't enough circulation on the opposite side of where my filter is. Is there any circulation pump for my type of tank? Thanks for the help ahead of time guys.

Attachments

• image-529741683.jpg
    image-529741683.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 66
First of all are you going pressurized, diy or liquid co2? As there are many options for each. A buble counter does just that it let's you count the bps (bubbles per second) and a diffuser diffused the co2 into the water. Also 86 the acintic bulb and get a midday bulb geisemann makes a high quality 6000k bulb. Also what kinds of plants are you trying to grow?

Well I'm goin with the paintball co2 method. Ok so I should have 10000, 67000, 6000 and color max? My goal is to have the substrate covered with baby tears. Other than that I'm open to anything. All I have in there now is wisteria and java moss. There's also this red plant that I forgot the name of. Ill post a picture because I won't to know the name of it.

In all reality if you wanted all the bulbs to be good bulbs all at once, I would get 3 geiesmann midday and 1 geiesmann roseatte. I just sais 86 the acintic since I've read they do nothing for the plants and they can promote algae growth. (not from experiance just frome reading) For the co2 your running depending on your solenoid you can get a bubble counter that attaches to it or you cc an get a glass/acrylic one that just ties into your co2 line. And for diffusers the possibilities are endless it all depends what you like and what your budget is like there's atomozers, in line diffusers, glass diffusers, and a ton of different diy diffusers.

Sorry for the bad quality.

Attachments

• image-1305887504.jpg
    image-1305887504.jpg
    151.9 KB · Views: 62
Ok. So when the co2 is coming out of the diffuser do the bubbles need to circulate throughout the tank or and it just go with the glow of a OBF.

Another question I had was how many bubbles per second should I have? And how long should I have my light on for?

Ok. So when the co2 is coming out of the diffuser do the bubbles need to circulate throughout the tank or and it just go with the glow of a OBF.

Well hob filters aren't the best for co2 they create so much surface movement you loose a lot. The longer the bubbles stay under the water the better. It isn't really the co2 bubbles themselves the plants use but more along the lines of the dissolved co2 in the water column from the bubbles. If that makes any sense. I may not be explaining it very clearley its late...yawn...lol...

Another question I had was how many bubbles per second should I have? And how long should I have my light on for?

You can either move the filter to the middle of the tank to improve water circulation or get a second filter.
6-8 hours of light per day is a good start. Run it on a timer if one is not already built into the light fixture.

A good place to start is 1bps and adjust from there. You will need a drop checker, co2 indicator drops and 4dkh solution so you can keep track of your co2 levels.

Most people run there lights 6-8hrs I was going a full 8 hours on my planted tank but had to drop it down to 6 because I added more light and only run those 3 hours to start and slowly bump them up 30 min a day every other week to find me sweet spot again. It is something you will have to play with. You could start with 6 hours a day for a few weeks and then add 30min for a few weeks untill you feel that if you went any longer you would have algae.

I have to ask what do you plan on doing about fertilizers with that mu h light and co2? I would reccomend Pps-Pro Method it is amazing my tank did this in a matter of almost 3 months using it.

ForumRunner_20130719_231854.jpg

ForumRunner_20130719_231913.jpg

Ok thanks guy really appreciate the info.

Wow your tank looks great. Ill have to check that out.

Back
Top Bottom