CO2 Systems?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

eykis9

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Central IL - just 15 miles east of St. Louis, MO
Greetings,

I am planning to set up a small planted aquarium (20 maybe 30 gal). In hopes of doing this right the first & increase my chances having great success(lol).... i have been doing much reading on the subject. So far, from what I understand, for optimal conditions it is recommended to use some type of CO2 injection.

My question is, does anyone know what a "sochtung carbonator" is? Also, does anyone know anything about this particular product, "PGP POWER REACTOR CO2 SYSTEM or PGP VORTEX TURBO MINI CO2 SYSTEM". Would any of these suit my purpose?

Also, any suggestion about filters would be greatly appreciated.
I use a bio-wheel 125 & an UGF with powerhead in my little 10 gal aquarium and it works great. However, I'm not planning to use an UGF in my planted tank so if you suggest something for the setup I'm planning I'd appreciate it.

thanks for such a great site!

:D

search the web for "diy co2" ... there are plenty of plans on the net about adding CO2 to small tanks

I'm beginning to question the effectiveness of my diy co2 on a 29 gal I'm running, I think it's working, but the light level is too high for the small amount of co2 being introduced

adding co2 needs to be balanced with your lighting and the level of nurtriants in the substrate (gravel) and the water column ... adding co2 but using a standard 20 watt light won't result in dramatic plant growth ... conversely, using 200 watts of light and low co2 levels will result in more algae growth than plant growth

there's a lot to read about this stuff ... google is your friend - if you don't like reading (like me), then trial-and-error is the way to go ... keep trying different things until you get a combination you like

Thanks & ...

Thanks for your thoughtful reply. Yes, I do understand, for the most part, about lighting conditions and about the DIY CO2 options. Also, as a starting point, I have read the "Aquarium Plants Manual by Ines Scheurmann & Dennis W. Stevenson" as well as countless articles I found via google. I am considering the Hagen Plant Grow Natural System with CO2 (I saw some info about this in previous threads here) but thought maybe one of the other systems I mentioned might be a better, less hassle choice... I just thought maybe someone here might know something about them & could give thier opinion before I decide. Anyway, I think the link to the Krib article below looks like a definite read, my thanks to the other replies here. :D

I'll do some more research! BTW, any suggestion on a good book about aquarium plants would also be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again!

The Hagen CO2 will work great. You may have to get 2 of them if you go with the 30g. They are made for 20g tanks. After you use up the packets of activator and stablizer, just make your own with the diy formula. I don't think those packets are anything more special than yeast and baking soda. I've got one of those on my 10g and my plants are growing wonderfully.

I have Encyclopedia of Aquarium Plants. Pretty good book and it's less than $20 on amazon.com. :wink:

Good luck!

I was going to use the hagen, but petsmart wants $30 each and I needed two for my 29 gallon tank. I opted for the diy system, and I use two soda bottles that I change every two weeks (I stagger them so one gets changed a week). My plants (java ferns, amazon sword) are pearling and my amazon sword is actually growing again, so I think it's helping.

hey, thanks for all the advice everyone. yeah, i think i'm going to give this hagen system a try. i figure if i don't like it at least i won't be out much money.

btw, shawmutt, petsmart online has the hagen system for $7.00 & thatpet place.com has it for $17.00. the only difference i can see between the two is the one at petsmart doesn't specifically say it has a bubble counter, which i think might just be an oversight, and the on at thatpetplace does.

thanks again y'all....
:D

P.S. Where do you get one of those cool avatars under your name? i've looked around here but can't find any info on that.

My avatar is made by me, the skull is a decoration in my tank. The only trick is getting the file small enough while keeping the picture clear. Any photo editing software will do the trick.

About the Hagen, am I looking in the wrong spot? I looked online for it:

http://www.petsmart.com/products/product_33004.shtml

The refill packets are $6.99, the actual system is $29.99. The shipping fee for thatpetplace.com is 6.95, making the total purchase $25.00, cheaper than petsmart but I'd still need two--too much money for something I just want to try out. I'm on a tight budget and would rather spend the money on fish.

Go to this site's home page, on the right of the screen where all your options are click on "update your profile." The avatar upload is all the way at the bottom of the screen.

Back
Top Bottom