CO2 systems

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Reactor is what makes the C02. Diffuser is what mixes C02 with the water. Just to clarify them for them.
That is what I do. I run the line from the bubble counter into the intake of my canister. The only thing you have to watch is that sometimes they can get a bubble of C02 or air in them. Just move it once in a while to see if it is amassing in the canister. Just shake the canister a little if it is and it will get rid of it.

Plecosterone said:
Reactor is what makes the C02. Diffuser is what mixes C02 with the water. Just to clarify them for them.

Any diffuser that uses a mechanical means to help diffuse the CO2 into the water is also called a reactor. ie CO2 Reactor 1000, Red sea reactor 500, Tom Barr's Venturi reactor, ect...

So, when you use a timer, you just turn it off when the lights go off and back on when they come on? Or is there another formula you use.

Basically yes. Some folks turn it on a little before lights come on to try and get the CO2 level back up for lights on.

Some like to have the CO2 come on 30 minutes or so before the lights so that the water has started to saturate before the photo period. Currently in my setup the lights and CO2 are on the same timer.

Thanks for all the advice everyone. I ended up purchasing a milwaukee regulator and 5lb tank from aquariumplants.com. The tank was only $50. I realized I already had a check valve and silicone tubing.

Anyways, my question is about the solenoid. HOW does it work? I mean, I understand that it's electronically controlled, but what about the pressure from the tank? Doesn't it just build up?

The regulator reduces the pressure to a set pressure (typically around 30PSI), this is a fixed value, whether gas is flowing or not. The solenoid is an "on/off" device, when the flow is off, the pressure still stays at the set value from the reg (this is the function of this device).

Back
Top Bottom