co2 tank question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

aquakev

Aquarium Advice Freak
I know this may belong in the hardware section, but thought it may get more attention over here.

I am researching co2 systems and am planning on buying the Milwaukee MA957 regulator. My question concerns the tank. What should I be looking for? I have seen some measured in gallons, some in pounds ect. Which type are suitable; dive tanks, welding ect.. and finally where should I look to find maybe a used/ cheaper tank?

thanks,
kev

You want a welding tank...that's the type of fitting the Milwaukee regulator's designed to fit. You really just want a standard CO2 cylinder. I think the one's they have for fountain pop machines has a different fitting on it that won't work.

Your best bet is a fire extinguisher store, or a welding supply house. If you simply ask for a CO2 cylinder, you'll get the right thing.
It should be measured in pounds, since CO2 is sold by weight, not volume.

I'd check the welding place, and see if they rent tanks for a security deposit. That's what I did...$85 deposit, which I'll get back if I ever decide to stop the planted tank thing. A new tank was $110 here, but prices on weird stuff like that get inflated, espeically when there's 1 fire extinguisher store, and 1 welding supply house within a 60 mile radius.

The problem with buying a used tank, is that you don't know if its still safe, unless it still has it's last hydrostatic test sticker on it, and it's still valid. When you own a tank, every few years you have to have it tested, for about $25 and it takes a day or two. By leasing a tank, the actual owner worries about the hydrostatic testing, and you're ensured a safe tank (provided you got it via a reputable dealer).

Thanks, Thats basically the info I was looking for! I called the welding supply store near me and they qouted me $85, Im guessing for the leased type tank. I gues Ill go get it when the regulator gets here.

Any recomendations on reactors/diffusers? I have a Rena filstar cannister but dont really want to plumb a reactor into it.

I have a filstar xp2. I too didn't like the idea of an in-line reactor, and at the time an older friend I met who was my planted tank mentor for a few months, well he had purchased a powerhead/gravel vac type reactor. So I went the same route.
This is exactly what I've got: http://www.floridadriftwood.com/product.asp?0=217&1=253&3=147

I'm about to replace the Rio pump for it though. Basically it ran dry a couple times, cuz the intake got an air bubble in it when I drained the tank. So now the powerhead is a little sluggish, and I get CO2 trapped inside the large chamber.

Actually, the soda machine cylinders and fittings are the same. I have a Pepsi cylinder (that apparantly used to provide CO2 to beverages) as my CO2 cylinder for my main planted tank right now :lol: I did get it from a welding store, so evidently the two have the same fitting.

Ok, I wasn't sure, but now that I think about it, I know a guy who has a normal cylinder, but a beveridge regulator...so yeah, the two must have the same fittings.

I've also heard liquor stores can refill the beveridge cylinders a little cheaper than welding places..but I have no first hand experience on that one.

Back
Top Bottom