Co2 timing with lights

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

oc Robbie

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi ,
I've just installed ,for the first time a small nano co2 set & added a drop checker . It's blue for the last hour . I'll leave it over night & make some adjustments on the co2 tomorrow. I'm really new with co2 aquariums. My question is : normally I get in from work about 6:30 pm & the lights are switched on in the tank until about midnight. I understand the co2 should be on when the lights are on only. However the tank does get sunlight throughout the day . It's in my living room so it's going to get some . Should my co2 be on all day?
Sorry for the long winded question!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Timers timers timers everything on timers...lol..I have my co2 on 1hr. before lights on&off 1hr. before lights out..Plants uptake co2 while lights are on& uptake oxygen while lights are off..by allowing co2 to be on before lights on it creates a build up of co2 for to plants to utilize once lights have kicked on...by shutting the co2 off an hr before lights out allows the plants to absorb the majority of the co2..if you don't have good lighting&proper ferts you'll be spinning your wheels..I also dose my ferts 45 mins before lighting kicks on..
http://i.imgur.com/NZF4mzw.jpg
I use an inline co2 reactor with a canister filter hence the sprite water in the pic..

That's a pretty nice tank!

The only thing I have in timer is the lights . I have to turn on my co2 . I wanted to start small . I have ferts in a bottle & just add per instructions . I'd love to have it all on timers. For now I'll have to do it manually!

As was said, usually an hour before lights kick on and an hour before lights go off. Is there any way you could pull your blinds shut so there is minimal sunlight on the tank when you're away at work?

Also, to the other poster, an inline reactor is supposed to combat the microbubbles usually seen which gives it that carbonated water effect. Maybe look at adding something to your reactor to cause more turbulence or look at reducing your flow or bps to allow the co2 to be fully dissolved into the water and not be shooting out bubbles.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Standard plug in timers from a hardware store are cheap and easy to use. I use 4 to synchronise day lights, morning/evening blue lights, nighttime air stone and finally daytime Co2. They are simple to use and takes away the worry if you have to be away for a few days.

Hi how many hours a day do you leave lights on in a planted tank with no extra c02 cartridge ? ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1428180325.719560.jpg is 11 hours to many?

I try to stick to 6 to 8 hours . That's what I've been advised anyway

Back
Top Bottom