CO2 Upgrade

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mohican

Aquarium Advice Addict
I'm narrowing my choices for select items to put my tank under full system. Tank is 125 g. Can I just use single diffuser or do I need to add more than one? Can I add an additional needle valve in addition to the one that comes with regulator; using 2? Thanx.

Regarding the number of diffusors, it can depend on a number of factors, but from a purely logistical perspective your filter setup will dictate what's easiest to do.

As far as using a second needle valve, I think you want something like this or this.

Thanx aquachem, those might work better. I can use 1 regulator with 2 lines from needle valve. Where is a good site for glass diffuser that can accommodate 125 g, I've seen for smaller tanks only?

Glass diffusers don't work quite as well on larger tanks, although they still are viable options still. I'm personally a proponent of GLA's line of atomic diffusers, although atomic diffusers are a 'love it or hate it' deal for most people. You can also look at a number of different in-line reactors if that appeals to you, or alternatively an in-line ceramic diffuser (also available via GLA).

Remember to add a separate bubble counter for each needle valve. I agree with using an inline co2 option, either an atomizer or a reactor. A large tank will need a lot of gas to get the co2 level up. Using something efficient will help to keep down the amount of gassed off co2 making your tanks go farther. You can make your own reactor cheaply and easily or order one.

I originally wanted to use diffusers just for the simplicity of them, but may have to opt for something different to get better results. Do atomizers work that different than diffusers? Their kinda like airstones aren't they? What about the discrepency between low operating working pressure and atomizers?

Atomizers are ceramic diffusers with smaller pores, resulting in much smaller bubbles and therefore higher efficiency. They do kind of give the tank a alka seltzer look, which some people don't appreciate. The efficiency is touted as being extremely high, and in my experience using them they work well enough, comparable to many reactors. The the difference in required pressure between atomic diffusers and normal ceramic diffusers comes from the smaller pore size, as you need more pressure push the co2 out. Any actual regulator will be able to create the pressure needed to get them to function.

Just saw a video from GLA on their atomic diffuser series and they don't that bad, from a introductory standpoint. They do emmit a "alka-seltzer" look, but I can ignore that for now. In a 6ft tank, it can be hidden pretty good. Would a single regulaor (say aquatek) be able to push 2 diffusers? I'm guessing it would. If I stick with GLA, which one to get, largest? They come in many sizes and prices to match.

A single reactor should do the job well. They can cost a good bit but you wouldn't need two needle valves, bubble counters and diffusers so there's savings there. You would have less Sprite in the tank if any at all. Not to say there's anything wrong with diffusers, I'm just fond of reactors.

If I opt not to cut into my return line, can I use powerhead to feed reactor?

Forgive me cuz Ive never used one, does the powerhead return water too? It feeds through bottom and out top; penguin version?

You can get one that you have to put in your tank that will 'push' the water through the loop, or one that you can put in-line that will pull and push the water. Depends on what model you buy and how much you spend on it.

A single reactor should do the job well. They can cost a good bit but you wouldn't need two needle valves, bubble counters and diffusers so there's savings there. You would have less Sprite in the tank if any at all. Not to say there's anything wrong with diffusers, I'm just fond of reactors.

All the reactors I see on eBay seem to go inside the tank. Are there any external ones?

Redsea and Ista both make external, in-line reactors. You can DIY one super easy as well, with the Rex Grigg reactor and Cerges reactor being the most common designs.

I have an Ista reactor and while it works very well they're cheaply made. If you're careful with them they're fine but they don't like high flow. Most people really like the DIY reactors. If I had the cash the Redsea would've been my first option.

I went all out on my setup for the Ista and split the return line so I could control the flow through it to get it just right and still preserve the remaining canister flow by letting it go out a second return.

Here's another crazy thought, can I use an old HOB filter to act as a reactor? I could just put the CO2 line toward the back/bottom of filter to allow mixing before it returned. I'm trying to think of things that I already have to use.

That's a viable strategy on smaller tanks, but you wouldn't be able to get nearly the throughput you need for that size of a tank.

Back
Top Bottom