CO2 Working Pressure Fluctuating

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DeirdreHoyle

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hello,
I am fairly new to running co2 in my tank, I've been doing it for about 6 months. About 2 months ago I got a new co2 tank because my first was empty (I want to have 2 so I can refill one while the other is running). I just moved the regulator onto the new tank per the instructions and it started working. Recently after I came home from a 3 day vacation I noticed the pressure on the regulator was showing 0 but the tank shouldn't be empty yet and when I pick it up it doesn't feel empty. It went back up to ~50 psi on Friday so I thought it was just a fluke but then today it's back to zero! Some co2 is still coming out but it's around 1 bubble/5 seconds. Does anyone know why this could be?

We did have a heat wave here in Portland when all this started. It was 98-100 degrees for about a week and it finally cooled down today. Could that have something to do with it?20170813_113004.jpg20170813_113026.jpg

Sounds like you could have a leak? Have u sprayed all connections with soapy water?

Either that or the regulator is faulty I'd say.

Sounds like you could have a leak? Have u sprayed all connections with soapy water?

Either that or the regulator is faulty I'd say.
No I haven't tried spraying soapy water, I will do that and see what happens.

The regulator is an Archaea Co2 Regulator Pro single guage. It came with the co2 starter kit from the lfs. I knew it wouldn't be the highest quality but it's literally only made it through 1 tank change! That's pretty lame.

No I haven't tried spraying soapy water, I will do that and see what happens.

The regulator is an Archaea Co2 Regulator Pro single guage. It came with the co2 starter kit from the lfs. I knew it wouldn't be the highest quality but it's literally only made it through 1 tank change! That's pretty lame.

It might not be the regulator itself but it could be the solenoid. I know a lot of cheaper regs tend to have cheap and nasty solenoids that tend to stick open or closed. If it's working properly you should hear a click when u unplug it and plug it back in [emoji106]

Well I have it on a timer and I always hear it click when it turns on and off - I just heard it now as it's turning off for the night. Does that mean it's probably a leak and not the solenoid/regulator? I still haven't soap tested it but I plan on it tonight

Well I have it on a timer and I always hear it click when it turns on and off - I just heard it now as it's turning off for the night. Does that mean it's probably a leak and not the solenoid/regulator? I still haven't soap tested it but I plan on it tonight

Sounds like the solenoids fine then, either a leak or a faulty reg. When the pressure drops to 0 is the co2 still diffusing? Or does it stop completely?

It doesn't stop completely, co2 still comes out but only around 5 bubbles per second and the guage is definitely open more than that.

To add to the confusion I just checked the guage and the psi is back up to 60!! The co2 has been off for about 25 minutes. Not sure why it's doing this 20170813_182459.jpg

Yea I'd say the regulator is faulty, maybe get in contact with the supplier and see if you can get a replacement for it. I'd check for leaks first though. Is there a plastic or rubber O ring between the bottle thread and the internals of the regulator?

Also is that an Ista mini reg?

Ok I did the soapy water test and didn't see any bubbles so I think it's the regulator.

It's an Archaea co2 regulator [pro] single gauge w solenoid valve. An O ring came with it but the instructions never say to use it, they just say to wrap the tank threads with Teflon tape and hand tighten the regulator onto the tank

And again, the timer is off so the valve is closed and the psi is back up to 50-60 but I can tell from the drop checker that the co2 was definitely not flowing at all while I was at work today

Back
Top Bottom