Cockscrew vals - not cockscrewing!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jsoong

Aquarium Advice Addict
I bought a bunch (4 plants) of cockscrew vals maybe a year ago. The original plants were maybe 6" tall with nice spiral leaves. In my tank, those plants started sending out runners instead of growing taller or bushier. I now have maybe 50-100 baby plants tightly packed into a 18"x18" area. <I have thrown out a whole bunch just to keep the plants in bounds.>

Initially, the babies are only growing to 1-2" tall before they send out more runners. The leaves are nice spirals, and it actually looked quite nice.

Lately, the vals had started growing taller. Some are up to 12" tall <but a lot are still under 2-3">. The strange thing is that the leaves are all uncurling. Instead of having cockscrew vals, my clump looks like flat ordinary vals. I am wondering if there is something the vals needed to maintain the cockscrews.

Tank specs: 75 gal low tech, 4x32W 6700K T8's, generally running 0/0/0, substrate ferts only.

Back
Top Bottom