Cole's Rescape

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cole_russell

Aquarium Advice Freak
Alright guys I'm getting super stoked to rescape my tank!! I've been running miracle grow substrate with gravel cap, up until recently a single sat+ and now dual sat+, with penguins 100+150 bio wheel filters and no co2. I now have the co2 tank regulator and am waiting to fill the tank. I will be buying pps pro soon as well as ADA AS Amazonia substrate.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Well I can't post pics since I'm above my quota but I have drawn up a layout. My large piece of driftwood will be propped up with either aid of rocks or substrate if it will stay with just the substrate... I'm hoping to create a canopy of moss going from branch to branch of the wood. In addition there will be small fern plants attached to the wood in the back corner near the base of the driftwood will be hygro. Pinnatifidia moving across the back to the right will be val, rotalla and possibly red tiger lotus. Bronze crypts will line the front of the wood and moving towards the front will be chain swords and then even closer a carpet of (micro swords) I'm not certain of my carpet yet. Maybe dwarf hair grass if it will grow with my proposed set up.

Sounds like a fun build. What size is the tank exactly?

As for posting pictures, you can always use an external photo hosting service like Photobucket. I use the app and it's pretty easy to get the code to copy and paste it in your thread.

Hey, I see you're in scottsdale? Do you have super high ph/gh tap water?

Edit: Because I'm in North/Central Phoenix and my ph is about 7.5-8 and my gh is off the charts

Yeah... others make fun of me here, but I call it "liquid rock." After all, we live on planet mercury! LOL

Surprisingly, despite some plant profiles claiming that a certain species needs soft water and this and that, they have all pretty much acclimated well to the tap. My UG (Utricularia graminifolia) is one of them.

How does that work out with your ferts and co2, I'm looking to get better ferts and co2 running in the tank and will probably run into similar issues.

I'm using PPS-Pro dry ferts from GLA. I pretty much use the standard recipe with an exception in the PO4. With the standard recipe being so lean on PO4, I was getting GSA (green spot algae). After doubling it from the standard recipe, the GSA haven't returned.

ADA AS supplies a good buffer from any deficiencies in your fertilizer regimen. I also started dosing 2mL per gallon due to the plant mass I have. I could be wasting my ferts, but I'd rather be dosing a little extra just in case. This is also because I'm using Africana, which is not as nutrient packed as Amazonia.

CO2 is set to come on 2 hours before my lights kick on and 1 hour off before lights. It's a 2 BPS. I use a drop checker with 4dkh to get a good estimate of adequate CO2 dissolution.

Hopefully the attachment works via the computer it should be the picture I drew up as a rough design.

So should I set my co2 on a timer until I get it dialed then put the ph meter on the timer with the solenoid plugged in after? That seems kid of hazardous to me but I'm not certain

Are you referring to a pH controller?

BTW, if you want the photos in photobucket to show up as embedded photos in the post, copy & paste the code from the "IMG (for forums, boards)" option in the shared links (last option, 4th one down).

Ah, thank you.

Edit: and yes a ph controller sorry it's getting late xD

No prob.

Well, I think a pH controller would be more accurate. Continue using that. I use a basic heavy duty timer because I'm too cheap to buy a controller. :)

It's an older controller and I don't know if it even works I found it in a bucket of old parts when I helped remove this guys 180g.

Wish I can help you on the controller. I have next to zero experience on them. But I'm sure there should be some equipment gurus here to help you test it. Maybe start a separate thread on it?

Yeah, I don't even have the co2 tank filled which I'm going to be making some calls on today.

Any welding supply store should be able to help you out with that. I've also heard of beverage places and fire extinguisher service places being able to fill your tank.

Sheesh. 20" is going to be hard to light well.

Good luck with it! It sounds cool and high-tech; pH controllers are pretty fancy IMO.

Dual Sat+'s would give you ~50 PAR at substrate according to a TPT thread. That's pretty solid medium light IMO.

Do you have a plant list yet?

Back
Top Bottom