Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Planted Tanks
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-19-2007, 10:25 AM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Compact Fluorescent Bulb Replacement

I think most of us know that the regular fluorescents need to be replaced every 6-12 months due to spectrum shift. At what point do Compact Fluorescents need to be replaced?

I've heard that they can be run until they burn out, but I've also heard that they do suffer from some degradation and should be replaced earlier. I'm wondering if older bulbs might be a part of the algae problems that I've been dealing with in a couple of my tanks. The bulbs over one tank are 12 months old and the bulbs over another tank are 1 year and 8 months old.

Purrbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 11:28 AM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to Devilishturtles
I used to change mine every 9 months. Over time, they shift to the red spectrum, which can feed algae. Newer bulbs stay in the blue spectrum, and cause less algae. Updated bulbs are the way to go.

Live in the Western MD/West Virginia/DC Metro Area?
Join our very active regional forum Here

Like the advice someone just gave you? Add to their reputation! Click on the balance icon underneath their username and let them know.
Devilishturtles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 12:51 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to rkilling1
This was posted back in October:

Quote:
Originally Posted by evercl92
I've seen this question asked several times, and also seen various answers. So, I went ahead and emailed Coralife to find out when the bulbs should be replaced. Here's what I recieved:

"
It actually depends on the plant species. You can go as long as 16 months for some species, and as little as 6 months for more sensitive species. On average if you change them out every 8 to 10 months you will be good.

Regards,
Rob M.
Product Lines Tech. Support Dpt.
Central Aquatics
"
Old 03-19-2007, 01:47 PM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

I'm glad this topic came up again...I started my 10 gallon tank in July 2006 and I was just thinking about when the bulb should be changed. I'll make a note in my tank log to order a new bulb in the next month or two.

An t-iasg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 05:24 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via ICQ to kaaikop
I just changed mine, after 2 years (4 x 96W, ouch$$).
I changed only half of them at first, to watch them side by side, man, what a difference!!!
The new ones were so bright you hardly can stand looking at them!
Old 03-21-2007, 04:42 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

I actually already had the replacement bulbs on hand, so based on everyone's input I went ahead and replaced them. I really haven't noticed that much difference in how bright the tanks look, but I must say that the old bulbs definately looked as if they'd seen better days. Hopefully soon I'll see some improvements as a result.

I'm currently planning to start replacing the bulbs on an annual basis, since that seems to be the consensus. Added a spot to my Spreadsheet that tracks maintenance so I know at a glance the last time the bulb was replaced.

Thanks all!

Purrbox is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bulb, fluorescent

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com