Confused about lighting

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Nelsontreyjones

Aquarium Advice Activist
I current have a 40 gallon breeder with a 36 inch Nova Extreme 2xT5HO @ 78 watts. I know it has a single lamp reflector. I am confused about how much watts per light I have. I figured 1.95 watts per gallon but I don't get this PAR stuff. Can anyone help me out or point me in the right direction.

If your trying to grow plants you've got plenty of light. You don't actually have to understand PAR to do any of this. With that light you may want to think about co2.

Thanks. I just didn't know what I would be in. Im guessing low light? I plan on dosing Excel or Glut atm. Co2 seems like a lot of work and equipment.

T5HO over a 40b is going to put you in high light, especially right under the fixture. Since you have an older Nova that doesn't have individual reflectors it won't be as high as it could but it is still going to be high. If you don't want to deal with CO2 and ferts then monitor it closely and adjust your photoperiod accordingly or add some screen to the fixture to diffuse/lower the light level.

T5HO over a 40b is going to put you in high light, especially right under the fixture. Since you have an older Nova that doesn't have individual reflectors it won't be as high as it could but it is still going to be high. If you don't want to deal with CO2 and ferts then monitor it closely and adjust your photoperiod accordingly or add some screen to the fixture to diffuse/lower the light level.

That is really good to know, I didn't think I would be in the high range. Maybe I will look into some type of diy co2.

Never done DIY CO2 but, in a 40b it is going to be pretty inconsistent. There is a lot of water surface area for out gassing, you will likely want to run at least three bottles. Pressurized would be much easier and cheaper in the long run (also cleaner, no yucky yeast bottles or miles of tubing).

jetajockey said:
I suggest just going with a full size co2 setup, it should run you under about 200 bucks all said and done and will last much longer and be more efficient than the paintball kits and DIY.

+1
And Fluval uses a wonky thread on the refill cartridges. That kit will end up costing a fortune. It can be converted to a standard paintball thread but good luck finding the adapter.

I have a 2 bulb fixture t5 normal with a 7,600k 18 watt and a color max 18 watt I was wondering what range does this lighting fall under and if up grading both bulbs to full spectrum light would be an improvement or not

remy the cook said:
I have a 2 bulb fixture t5 normal with a 7,600k 18 watt and a color max 18 watt I was wondering what range does this lighting fall under and if up grading both bulbs to full spectrum light would be an improvement or not

Try making a thread asking about it.

I suggest just going with a full size co2 setup, it should run you under about 200 bucks all said and done and will last much longer and be more efficient than the paintball kits and DIY.

I think I might just run a paintball Co2 setup with a 20 oz tank. I don't have a room for the bigger tank because the aquarium is in my bedroom. Doesn't seem to hard to take on.

It's not that it's hard, it just costs a lot more to operate. I keep mine under the tank, it's only a 5lb so the co2 tank is only about the size of a 2liter soda bottle.

Either way you go will work, though.

For me the paintball system made more sense because I have a gas station a few door down that refills them but I have to drive to another town to refill a bigger tank. Just keep an extra canister around and it should work out fine. My tank is smaller than yours so one canister lasts months. If you go with an efficient diffusion method like an inline reactor the bottles will last longer, too.

I'm just looking for the smallest and cheapest setup that effective. From the looks of it the Fluvial 88g isn't. So this is the next one up. I don't have much room. The tank is in my bedroom.

my tank is in my bed room too, trying to find a way were I don't have to drive a long way to get a big tank filled. nearest place that fills small tanks is a dicks sporting goods that's about 10 min from me, now just have to find a place that sells 1 lb canisters

remy the cook said:
my tank is in my bed room too, trying to find a way were I don't have to drive a long way to get a big tank filled. nearest place that fills small tanks is a dicks sporting goods that's about 10 min from me, now just have to find a place that sells 1 lb canisters

If they fill small canisters they may only do paintball canisters. Did you ask them if they also fill full sized co2 canisters (5# and larger)? If so you can get 5# canisters off of amazon. Otherwise you could just do a paintball system. If you go that rout I'd keep 2 cylinders. One you have filled as a spare and the other working.

For CO2 you could check out the "Sicce Life" products. I use Life 2 on my 125; just replace the cartridge about 3-5mo. Check it out!

Back
Top Bottom