Currently have a low-light, low tech 29g. For fish I have mostly second and third generation livebearers (platies plus a couple mollies) born and raised in this tank. I have one senior citizen platy left from my original stock as well. I am at near-max capacity with about 20 fish.
I am considering getting a new, larger tank. Something in the 45-65G range, and transferring the fish and plants to it, then add more.
My plants now consist of two logs with moss and ferns on them. Like this.
Current setup is very low light. Just the single-tune fluorescent that came with the hood.
I already have a problem with algae - the brownish diatoms (although that has diminished significantly over the last year), this greenish black fuzzy stuff, and this green stuff on the glass and surfaces that is MUCH harder to scrape off.
1. What is a good setup for medium light? As far as good, light, etc?
2. Will algae get even worse?
3. What are good taller growing plants that would work?
4. Currently have a HOB
filter. If I switch to a canister, is cycling the same? How do you clean them?
5. To cycle the new tank (before moving fish), what is the best way to “seed” it? Throw a bag of substrate from the old tank, or a spent charcoal filter in there?
6. I have a snail problem in my existing tank. They seemed to hitch a ride on the plants when I bought them. I have heard you can “bleach” the plants to kill them. Any info on that?