Controlling Phosphates

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dragon_77

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello all!

I have recently added some live plants to my LOW (0.005) brackish tank (90gal) - just java moss mostly, and a purplish moss that has inundated my LFS - they can get rid of it fast enough, and I can't seem to keep it in the tank long (*something* is just gobbling it up!). The LFS has not been able to identify the purple moss.

I have also added a new dual LED lighting system.

That said, I have *very* green water - not that I have a problem with green water, algae, or algae blooms, it's that I'm concerned I might be dropping the O2 levels in the tank too much (I have 2 large bubble rings as well as a Marineland powerhead - think it's an old 1100 - that is submerged and the outlet is turned down to provide additional aeration. I do not currently have a phosphate test kit, but will be getting one with my next purchase (also need to know what the best one for that is as well - I currently use one of API multi-test kits that does ph, Ammonia, Nitates/Nitrites).

Obviously, a related issue is high Nitrates. I was advised to just let the algae take over for a while and that should help reduce the Nitrate levels (Nitrites and Ammonia are at 0). Only other issue is the ph, which constantly drops - i try to keep it stable around 6.8-7.0, but it has dropped as low as 6.0. I only use water changes and baking soda to raise it.

The filtration is MORE than sufficient - it has a new Fluval FX-5 canister (rated at 400gal). Currently using just the pre & post bio pellets and coarse filter pads.

I am aware of several of the phos-sorb materials like Chemi-Pure Elite, Rowaphos, etc, but am wondering what the best selection would be for this setup? I would rather not use a separate reactor chamber.

I also have one of the UV Mean Green Killing Machines (24v) - hasn't been real effective. :(

Thanks for any assistance! :)

Back
Top Bottom