Cool-ish Java Moss Idea

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Corbo

Aquarium Advice Freak
OK, guys... Don't make fun! I brainstormed this up today... I'm getting in some driftwood from the Driftwood store ( AWESOME SERVICE, Rod is the nicest guy, definitely recommend them.. and good prices ) and I want to grow my java moss on it, but I also thought it would be cool to get a little carpet going... SO, I bought some little Terra Cotta saucers and I plan to hair net some java moss to them and see how they turn out... I'm really excited to see if it works...

I made sure to boil the saucers and everything! Just waiting on them to cool down before I start this project! If it looks good, I'll probably have like 10 of these things in my tank. Wish me luck! :)

did some experiments on java moss with my decorative rocks too..although I used other material than hair net. LOL..

Don't hate on my hairnet Daileene! It's actually very handy!!! :) It has a stretchy part that requires me to tie nothing.. very good for me. I was never in boyscouts and can't tie a knot at all haha

oh no no...my other alternative is funny...LOL. i didn't have a hairnet so I used a pantyhose that i bought larger than my size so I wasn't able to use it...but it works in my experiment. LOL. My java moss is growing/creeping out from it now...

Wow, ok, yeah that's pretty funny! Haha. I thought you were making fun of me. :) But panty hose works too I guess.. It's whatever you can make work... as long as it works then you might as well use it

Hahaha no I was not making fun of you at all. Alisha (coleallensmom) used the hairnet method in her java moss experiment on a rock she found outside her house. I did the decorative rock I bought from walmart. I thought it won't work coz the rock was smooth but I guess it does grow wherever you place the moss...as long as you have something to hold it in, which in my case, is the.....pantyhose. LOL.

I'm really excited for this! I have mine set up and in my aquarium. the hairnet seems to be holding it in place like a charm. :) I'll try to update with pics after a while?

Have you asked your gf to prom yet? I totally can't remember if you did...

Haha. No :) I'm waiting until St. Patty's Day... I'm making her wait, and since it's implied we are going, then it should be fine... It'll be funnier with my "pigs fly" theme.

Corbo said:
Haha. No :) I'm waiting until St. Patty's Day... I'm making her wait, and since it's implied we are going, then it should be fine... It'll be funnier with my "pigs fly" theme.

Haha!!! Oh prom...good times!

Viper said:
Driftwood store you say? Do they have a website and/or ship non-locally?

Viper... They ship anywhere! Its so awesome. The guy is really great and honest, even told me to avoid a piece that was too big for my tank instead of trying to just sell it. He set out other pieces on a footprint of my 30 gal and it looked great. Really helpful. Just go to www.thedriftwoodstore.com

I found a way to grow java on about anything. You clip the java moss with scissors and let tiny prices fall on whatever you want it to grow on. Then spray it down and place in a terrarium to hold the moisture with an inch or so of water. Put in a not too bright spot like a room with northern exposure and wait until light green growth starts showing. I'm doing this now with coconut caves and a flowerpot cave.

Attachments

• image-803025217.jpg
    image-803025217.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 91
Wow I really like the half flowerpots idea! If the java moss were to hide the entire color of the pot that would be awesome

I covered the exterior with silicone then covered it in sand. That way the java moss has something to grab onto as well as hide what the moss doesn't.

Back
Top Bottom