Coralline's 20 gallon rescape

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Looking good! The HC is filling in quite nicely.

Sorry to hear that you lost your kuhlis. I just got two about 10 days ago, I hope they don't die :ermm: I love them, though :) so active and funny. I'm hoping to get a couple more when the store restocks them.

Thanks Bud. I plan to get about 5 next time I try them and I really hope I don't loose em again. I'll probably need another quarantine tank though. Here's what happened to my last one.

60903-albums11224-picture50262.jpg

Somehow, I doubt I'd catch the kuhlis out of here. >.<'

Your tanks are looking great. The 20 reminds me of a rain forest. Pretty neat containers for your micros and macros... Where did you get those? I use those pipettes too - excellent solution for dosing small tanks!

Maybe the HC isn't growing up against the rock because there's a shadow being casted?

Your tanks are looking great. The 20 reminds me of a rain forest. Pretty neat containers for your micros and macros... Where did you get those? I use those pipettes too - excellent solution for dosing small tanks!

Maybe the HC isn't growing up against the rock because there's a shadow being casted?

That's what I was about to say. It looks to me like it's pretty shaded in that picture.

Thanks Brian! (my name is Brian, too btw) lol I found the bottles here and here. I was dismayed by the reviews but I couldn't be happier with them. Maybe those reviewers are using them for something industrial or lab related and have very high grade bottles to compare them too, but I don't have a single complaint. Honestly, if I were to somehow break one I'd get another one right away.

That's the strange thing. There aren't any shadows at all where the plant stops. If you look to the left of where the plant isn't growing against the rock you'll see a small stone with a small low overhang. The HC is growing partially under that overhang where there are shadows. Maybe it could be a substrate issue. There's very little substrate where it isn't growing. The rock is partially buried and it may just be to little Eco Complete against rock right there. I may just have to remove that strip of Eco and expose more rock. I'm not sure what else I could try.

Oh, y'all may be looking at the closeup pic for the HC. That spot actually grows well but the bristlenose keeps it cleared by swiping at it with his tail and body whenever it encroaches on his lair. It's the "L" shaped part on the left side of that same stone in the FTS where the barren area is visible.

I was actually going to suggest adding some more eco. Then once the HC gets up to where you want it then you can remove/brush off the eco right up to the HC edge.

That sounds like something worth trying. I'd need to get another bag of it though (my last bag is all tapped out). Until then I may be able to make a compromise using the Eco that's already in the tank by piling it up next to the HC to see if I can get another quarter inch of "near rock" growth. Thanks for the excellent and creative idea!

Thanks Brian! (my name is Brian, too btw) lol I found the bottles here and here. I was dismayed by the reviews but I couldn't be happier with them. Maybe those reviewers are using them for something industrial or lab related and have very high grade bottles to compare them too, but I don't have a single complaint. Honestly, if I were to somehow break one I'd get another one right away.

That's the strange thing. There aren't any shadows at all where the plant stops. If you look to the left of where the plant isn't growing against the rock you'll see a small stone with a small low overhang. The HC is growing partially under that overhang where there are shadows. Maybe it could be a substrate issue. There's very little substrate where it isn't growing. The rock is partially buried and it may just be to little Eco Complete against rock right there. I may just have to remove that strip of Eco and expose more rock. I'm not sure what else I could try.

Nice name! Think i can remember that one :)

Wow.. I rely so heavily on reviews, I'm surprised you still bought them and took a chance. You're more brave than i am. If you really like those bottles, you should submit a review so it doesn't look so one-sided.

Nice name! Think i can remember that one :)

Wow.. I rely so heavily on reviews, I'm surprised you still bought them and took a chance. You're more brave than i am. If you really like those bottles, you should submit a review so it doesn't look so one-sided.

Ha! Funny you should say that. I just wrote a review on Amazon right before seeing your post! That's a great idea. I'll see about writing them tonight. I have the same positive opinion for both bottles and only ordered the dark one to help protect the Glute from light (added to the Micros for mold suppression). I could probably use most of one review for both of the bottles. *cheater* :whistle: lol

Edit: Reviews written! Thanks for suggesting I do that. It was a great idea. (y)

^^ Good for you... it's a public service (well also to the manufacturer) that someone provide another perspective as to the usefulness of those bottles. I might just have to get some for my 26g micro/macro ferts bottles -- which currently I'm using ghetto-rigged water bottles :)

Anyway, what are you using to keep those pipettes secured to the side like that?

It's just a hard plastic drinking straw that I had a heck of a time cutting into short lengths. I just tape the short pieces on every bottle of ferts I have which is about 11 counting my daughter's. lol I wasn't sure about using one pipette for everything and having a bunch of them lying around is a bit messy. It actually works out great to keep a pipette with each bottle. I recommend it. ^_^

Nice setup with the pipettes and holders. I've only seen those pipettes in labs (used to work in one). Easy to work with; just squeeze and release.
I was looking for an inexpensive syringe for dosing Excel and flourish comprehensive and found infant medicine syringes in the baby section of the grocery store. Markings for 10 mL in 0.2 graduations $0.79. Yeah, you need two hands to use it but no guess work on the volume

Attachments

• image-1729114677.jpg
    image-1729114677.jpg
    143.5 KB · Views: 63
Thought your tank filled in beautiful! It came so far from when you stocked it.

Nice setup with the pipettes and holders. I've only seen those pipettes in labs (used to work in one). Easy to work with; just squeeze and release.
I was looking for an inexpensive syringe for dosing Excel and flourish comprehensive and found infant medicine syringes in the baby section of the grocery store. Markings for 10 mL in 0.2 graduations $0.79. Yeah, you need two hands to use it but no guess work on the volume

You can get these free from an Walgreens. Just walk up to the pharmacy and ask for some. They only go up to 5mL though.

bevoholic said:
You can get these free from an Walgreens. Just walk up to the pharmacy and ask for some. They only go up to 5mL though.

Really? That's great to know! I ordered mine from Drs.F&S. At least they were cheap. lol Some shops sell them. I still have a couple that are about 10 years old.

Yup, that's what I did......nothing beats free ;)

Hey Bud, do you have any build threads or anything for your tanks? I keep looking but can't find them. Maybe I'm just doing it wrong. :huh:

Thought your tank filled in beautiful! It came so far from when you stocked it.

Thanks a ton Mohican! It's been a bit of work and a LOT of fun. It's only just now getting grown-in but it's still got a good two months yet to go. More and more RCS are starting to show up. Lots and lots of babies and some of the males really look like fire red cherry shrimp. Soooo red!

Back
Top Bottom