Cost effective CO2 options

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Khuligirl93

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have been doing a lot of reading about what is is best option for CO2 injection. I haven't actually DONE anything yet to my ten gallon, but I really want to make sure I know what my plan is before I start and screw something up.
So at first I thought that I would go the DIY route because I am a poor college student and I'm already going to have to spend money on a new light. But after more reading, I've been hearing people say how messy DIY CO2 is, and how you have to replace it so often, and there is really no way to control the flow or turn it off at night (causing pH swings). This especially concerns me because I will be gone half the summer and my tanks will be in the hands of my parents. So then I started researching about pressurized systems. I know I can get paintball cartridges from my local sporting goods store so I thought hey, no big deal, ill just do that! But then I found out that you have to have a regulator to go on the cartridge, and everywhere I search has them priced at $80-$160!!!!! I hear people talk about pressurized systems all the time but no one mentions anything about how expensive the little regulators are!
So I guess my question is, what is the most cost effective way to go about this?

i have a 5 lb co tank with a milwaukee regulator i think total cost was 150, 50 for tank 100 for the regulator, tubing is like 5 bucks and a diffuser price varies, the one i got was from GLA which was 20?

Well it sounds like DIY (yeast/sugar) would be best for your staving student status. I'm a student too and i got into co2 injection initially through DIY. Its cheap to construct, cheap to operate, and not messy at all... I mean, not anymore messy than preparing a meal in the kitchen.. Its like following a simple recipe and rinsing a few things. I have to change out the mix every 2 weeks. Ph swings aren't really a big deal unless you're keeping sensitive shrimp. Mine runs 24/7 in a 12 gallon.

I also started paintball co2 in a couple of other tanks. The up-front cost is what gets you, but after that, refills aren't bad. It's certainly more convenient than having to mix DIY. Anyway, i have Aquatek mini regulators for paintball.. They were $85 at the time i got them -- unfortunately prices have gone up.

Ok thank you for your input. I might start out trying DIY- I was planning on getting shrimp, but I don't have to. And when I save up the money it seems like pressurized would be a good investment.

Pressurized co2 is the best investment you can make for plants. If you're going to put money somewhere, you're better off getting a good CO2 system and a cheap light than a nice light and cheap CO2 system. You get what you pay for.

Hey Aqua I'm curious about your statement. Why is Pressurized CO2 a better investment than a good light? Wouldn't the plants be using less carbon because of the lower lighting?

It's not always a matter of who takes up carbon quicker. It's also a matter of how easily you can grow the plants. It comes down to two situations: more light, less/inconsistent/largely uncontrollable co2, or less light, better co2. The case if the first, you might have more light, but you create an environment where algae can very possibly become significant. High light and low/inconsistent co2 are key factors for a handful of different algae: BGA, BBA, GSA, various hair algae, etc. On the other hand, lower light and good co2 allows for a more balanced system in that light is more completely utilized by plants (rather than the algae).

As long as you have a heavily planted tank with fast growing plants and a comprehensive fertilizer dosing regimen to match, you'll be fine with high light and stable co2 injection. The fast growing high light plants would essentially out-compete algae and would enable balance in those conditions.

Following along.

I have been seeing DIY kits on amazon for like $30, they have a regulator and everything you need, just connect it to the bottle you keep the CO2 in and it does the work for you. That being said, I'm not sure if it'd last all summer for you since DIY co2 needs to be replaced often from my understanding.

I know this sounds expensive, but there is an azoo regulator kit with everything you need minus the Co2 canister and a paintball adapter if you need it for like $123. I was looking for the website, but I can't find it now....reviews are all good minus the bubble counter, which costs like $5 to replace anyways.

The route I went was with UP Aqua regulator with solenoid. Their regulator is on sale on Amazon for $79. It regularly goes for $150. The few reviews I did find were nothing but good so I couldn't help myself. In total for the Regulator, tubing, bubble counter, defuser, check valves, paintball canister, and paintball adapter my total ended at $144. I probably should have got a 5-10lb co2 tank but wanted to save as much money as I could at the moment since I'm a student like yourself.

I dont know what kind of rush you are in to get the CO2 system, but I can let you know how the UP aqua works for me if you are interested.

It's hard to find a quality regulator for a good price, but is doable at the same time. Goodluck!! Don't get discouraged

Back
Top Bottom