Could my zaire root be the cause of my problems...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Talon242

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have been fighting black brush algae for quite some time and recently I think that maybe my zaire root may be the cuase. I've had it in my aqurium for about a 1 year and a half. Could parts of it be rotting and messing with my water paramaters? Is there a way I could clean it maybe or something? Would I be okay taking it out for a while I'm not sure if my pleco needs it for his diet or not? Thanks in advance.

I notice a difference between my qt tank with plants and my 50 gallon. I'm using it for a sort of nursery for plants and they seem to be doing way better than in my other tank. But that maybe getting off on another whole topic.

If your root is rotting it could be having an effect on the growth of algae in your tank. If it has BBA growing on it, it could be serving as a springboard for algae. I think it would be safe to take it out to see if your algae dissipates. Keep it out for at least a week. You can boil and let it dry in the sun to sterilize it.

Hmm... I boiled it and it turns the water brown, I guess this is from tanins. I originally just soaked it for a few days, but I guess that didn't do. So if I keep boiling it will it eventually will it stop leaking tanins?

You could boil it 2 or 3 times to remove more tannins also. Then, you can let it dry in the sun or I've seen people bake it in the oven after boiling. Be sure to keep an eye on it though, wouldn't want to start a fire.

Back
Top Bottom